Domain Manage

Domain Question

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by markb, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markb United Kingdom

markb Active Member

Hi All,

Just got a really basic domain question. If you buy an already registered .co.uk domain name from someone, you have to transfer the ownership of the domain via nominet.

Therefore at this stage, you own the domain, but you havent got it registered with a registrar. I presume its still registered at the previous owners registrar.

Do you need to transfer the registration of the domain with a domain registrar, and what would happen if you didnt, or if you forgot? would you lose the domain?

Thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. mattyr45 India

mattyr45 Active Member

You pick a new registrar 'tag' when you change ownership via Nominet

Find a registrar,
    create an account,
    find somewhere to 'transfer in domains'
    Find out their 'tag'
    Use this 'tag' when you do the ownership change

4. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

See this link and note "3B" under "If you are the new registrant". You don't have to change registrar after a registrant transfer. If you didn't change it you'd still be listed as the registrant in the WHOIS (i.e. with Nominet) and the domain name would be in your Nominet registrant account. It, however, might still remain in the existing registrants "registrar registrant account" (which is nothing to do with the Nominet account system) unless the former registrant also pushed it into a new account within that registrars own management system. Personally I'd change registrar to make it simple as part of "3B".

5. markb United Kingdom

markb Active Member

Thanks for both your comments. I think what I am trying to ask, if you have transferred a domain to your nominet account, you still need to register/transfer the domain with/to a domain registrar. If you didnt do this, when the domain expires, would you then lose the domain, or would nominet send you a reminder that it is going to expire?

6. mattyr45 India

mattyr45 Active Member

Nominet will email you but charge £80 to renew - you might need to pay the £12 tag change

7. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Nominet introduced their registrant account system perhaps five years ago. Prior to its introduction the only online interaction a registrant had was through a registrar. Your concern is one that I thought about at the time of its introduction.

If you're becoming the new registrant of a domain name it is perhaps safer to elect to do a registrar transfer at the same time. Bringing a domain name to a registrar is likely to be a process that a registrar understands and has thought about, hence has good procedures for. The new registrar will try to match the email address held by Nominet with an email address held in their own database and then link the two, hopefully giving you management facilities within the new registrars control panel.

If you're becoming the new registrant of a domain name and wish to keep it at the existing registrar then what the existing registrar does within their internal domain name management depends on how well they process the transfer communication data that Nominet send after a transfer is enacted. Ideally the registrar will process them well and act on them so the domain name will be reassigned to your account within the registrar, thus removed from the one of the former registrant. However the registrar might not process them at all and therefore it may fall to either the former registrant to indicate to the registrar that they're transferring the domain name, perhaps by pushing it into your registrar account first (123-reg used to have an internal push facility for moving domain names between their accounts), or you as the new registrant to request the domain name be associated with your account at the registrar instead of the account controlled by the previous registrant.

It's all a bit of a mish-mash because Nominet introduced their own registrant account system and registrars always had to have their own internal domain name account system. The two don't always work in perfect harmony and I'd like to see more done to ensure that they do. In my opinion it falls on Nominet to produce further guidelines and quality checks on it.

You may have heard of registrants complaining that registrars have billed them for domain names that have been transferred out. This is probably because the registrant performed the transfer using Nominets control panel and the loosing registrar didn't process the emails from Nominet detailing the removal of the domain names from their tag. The loosing registrar assumed the domain names were still with them, perhaps because the registrant didn't request for them to be deleted from their registrar account and the registrar billed accordingly.

I accept the principles behind why Nominet introduced registrant accounts and the online system but I don't believe all registrars interact well enough with it.

I hope this explains what you wanted to know to a sufficient level. :)

8. markb United Kingdom

markb Active Member

Thanks for the detailed description, i understand now. cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.