Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Domain Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got all 184 domains back thanks to Nominets help.

I thought this was about a single name or a couple of names, 184 is a crazy amount, I'd love to hear the full details about how this happened, who was involved and how they came to get your names.

Glad you got them all back.

Nominet said someone had hacked my LCN account, changed the email address and contact details transferred 184 domains then changed it all back as though they have not been there.

This is from Nominet.

On the 5/5/13 at 10:33am (not pm as I may have said yesterday), the admin email was changed to [email protected], contact changed to Paul Pettitt and the address and phone number also changed (all by LCN from an EPP command) The registration was then later changed. This affected all 184 domains.

It should be easy for registrars, or any company for that matter, to prevent this sort of thing happening.

In the event that anyone wants to change details in an account, the only way it should be possible to do that is for a phone call to be made to the current phone number listed in the account, to confirm if it's them requesting the changes.

I see the owner of that transworldleisure.com domain owns railsaver.co.uk which is registered through LCN, Who-Is for the .co.uk gives contact details as an P.O. Box number in Vanuatu.

It should be easy for registrars, or any company for that matter, to prevent this sort of thing happening.

In the event that anyone wants to change details in an account, the only way it should be possible to do that is for a phone call to be made to the current phone number listed in the account, to confirm if it's them requesting the changes.

I see the owner of that transworldleisure.com domain owns railsaver.co.uk which is registered through LCN, Who-Is for the .co.uk gives contact details as an P.O. Box number in Vanuatu.

I agree it should be easy to stop it.
They probably stole railsaver.co.uk from its true owner. I wonder what would of happened if I did not notice it for 3 months would I have still gotten them back.

Glad you got them all back stuff like this makes me glad I'm dealing direct now. maybe look into getting your own tag

Looks like Nom get a big +1 here, trying to get a stolen .com back is near impossible :(

the admin email was changed to [email protected], contact changed to Paul Pettitt and the address and phone number also changed

Looks like this is him (WhoIs of ferryto.com which has links to loads of the sites under the other name, Simon Dohonu):-

REGISTRANT CONTACT INFO
FerryTO Limited
Paul Pettitt
Pantiles
Spring Meadow
Playford
Ipswich
IP6 9ED
GB
Phone: +44.1473807893
Email Address: [email protected]

He's been a busy boy with DRS' going back ten years for abusive registrations of trademark names from Argos and Staples as well as the below
judgement in relation to abusive reg and use of lauraashley.com.

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=d2010-1922

This interestingly mentions that he ("Simon Dohonu" in that case) also goes under the alias Juanette Pettitt however 192.com have a Juannette Pettitt and Paul Robert Pettitt living together at the above address in Ipswich so presumably this is more likely to be his wife.

It looks like he is living the high life off the the back of his nefarious activities as he is listed as international chairman of a sailing club (there's a photo too though not a very good one) http://uk.rstera.org/index.asp?selection=Contact&Fleet=RS%20Tera

There is a further UK address for Transworld listed as
22 Grange Road
West Molsey
Surrey
KT8 2PP

You may have all this already but I cant sleep and nothing like a nice bit of detective work to round off the day....Sincerely hope the police are getting involved in all of this!

Last edited:
Glad you got them all back stuff like this makes me glad I'm dealing direct now. maybe look into getting your own tag

I do have my own TAG but that is only any good if you just leave them in your Nominet account.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I do have my own TAG but that is only any good if you just leave them in your Nominet account.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Not sure what you mean by that, there shouldn't be anything you can't do via Nominet that you do via LCN. The main thing you would probably want to do is change Nameservers to point to your hosting. you can do that via nominet domain manager.

It should be safer keeping them with Nominet. If something did go wrong then it is one less link in the chain to get it put right. I have always found Nominet pretty good at rectifying such things as I did temporarily "lose" one a couple of years ago, but Nominet were very quick to respond and I did get it back within a few hours. It was due apparently to a "manual error" at Nominet's end.

Worth looking into.

Apart from anything else, renewal fees should be a little cheaper.

Dave

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by that, there shouldn't be anything you can't do via Nominet that you do via LCN. The main thing you would probably want to do is change Nameservers to point to your hosting. you can do that via nominet domain manager.

It should be safer keeping them with Nominet. If something did go wrong then it is one less link in the chain to get it put right. I have always found Nominet pretty good at rectifying such things as I did temporarily "lose" one a couple of years ago, but Nominet were very quick to respond and I did get it back within a few hours. It was due apparently to a "manual error" at Nominet's end.

Worth looking into.

Apart from anything else, renewal fees should be a little cheaper.

Dave

Thanks Dave
I am looking into that now with nominet to see if they will do a bulk transfer for me.

Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts