Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DomainFest Prague post-mortem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I thought I'd post a quick post-mortem of the DomainFest show in Prague. Overall it was a great event, and very well attended for a European show, with between 200-250 attendees (I've seen different figures on various blogs). Certainly the sessions were much quieter, but judging from the crowd at the big dinner event at the museum and the luncheon on the final day, I could easily believe it was the topside of that range...

Several familiar faces from the UK, but by and large it seemed that there were many more people there from Germany and Eastern Europe. Perhaps not surprisingly given the location and the strong domaining communities in many European countries. Also a good contingent from North America and further afield.

The sessions were interesting but not ground-breaking, but that's only because I follow topics such as Google's algorithm changes closely. To anyone less immersed in SEO, the keynote would have been very useful (and I did learn that Youtube allows a 5,000 character description for each video!) The 5 domainer myths presentation was good as well, but I'd seen most of the material on blogs after the DomainFest NY event.

The meals/parties were top-notch, in food and location. My highlight was definitely the first night dinner held in the National Museum, opened after hours just for DomainFest. Although it wasn't very widely publicised (I talked to several people who didn't realise it) the Minerals wing of the museum was open to browse for the first 2 hours of the party, and I can report that it has an outstanding collection (including some massive meteorites) filling some 5 or 6 large halls.

My one niggle, and it's the same niggle that crops up show after show, was the auction. Too many poor names at high prices, and the auctioneer's outcry system made it very hard to understand what was going on! I much prefer the sedate, clear enunciation of auctions that you see for example at UK property auctions. At the end of the day, it probably wouldn't take any longer or sell any less, but you wouldn't feel like you'd just been shouted at for 3 hours!

To see what I mean, contrast an example DomainFest auction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_irqqoDRRM with an example property auction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFQYIHX5OoM

The activity day was brilliant. I joined the Yellow team for a "spy game" that took us all over the Old Town area, looking for clues and chasing sinister men in red ties and black leather trenchcoats. We had to disarm an alarmingly real-looking bomb, use a UV reader to look for hidden clues, run to answer a ringing phonebox (very "24") and talk to a woman holding a cauliflower sitting in a park. Very surreal, and tons of fun. In the afternoon, I went on the "Castle and Churches" walking tour, where we were deluged by facts about the magnificent buildings we were walking around and through, and shuttled expertly from location to location through the rush-hour Prague traffic.

I skipped out on the last evening party to have a quiet final night in the city, so can't comment directly, but I'm sure it must have been good given the standard of the rest of the event.

Overall an excellent show. Less directly relevant to me than Meet Domainers, but Prague made a fantastic location and everything from the food to the organisation to the events was top notch.

Next year's European DomainFest show will be in Barcelona, and I'm already mentally planning a Spanish itinerary to take in that show.

NOTE: yes, DF is not a "cheap" show, but when you think you're getting first class food and drink for 4 meals plus several tours and events thrown in, you've quids-in on the entry ticket price even before you sit down for a single session or start networking. And of course it's the networking that's so crucial - I met several people for the first time that I've been dying to meet for ages, and had some extremely productive discussions that could prove very lucrative down the road...

Last edited:
I have to say Edwin that your posts are fabulous.

I'm guessing by having read lots of your posts that you attend most of the domain related events around the world, and for those of us, who will never be able to get to them, its very kind of you to comment on your visits.

Have you ever organised one yourself?

It sounds like you could implement the right changes to make one a real success.

I'm not really one for telling people how good they are as it always reads a bit OTT and makes me cringe when I see others doing so, but fair is fair, your posts deserve it.

A "quiet final night in the city" of Prague i hear you say?? Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Great comments on the event, thanks Edwin!

It was no quiet last night

Well i have to agree with a lot of what Edwin said

I Write this after waking up after the finishing party

that i would like to say was also my birthday party too

the events day was a coup in that networking was a dream

got to meet some great people with good products/service`s and knowledge

probably 20 mins of the whole spent talking domains but good

friendship`s started , DomainFest / oversee.net do certainly know how to

lay on a good structure to entertain. the food/events were second to none

i also after watching the domainfest auction live online from new york

was so disappointed i rang up and and told them so and in my humble opinion

have improved in Prague but as edwin mentioned with room for further

improvement . i would also say it was great to see a good deal of people from

the uk, edwin and his wife , angie the uk`s best networking event provider,

southern rob , matt from domainmonster , my drinking buddy reza sobati

phil from domcollect and also Brum of the fourum (hanith ) and also many others

i have forgotten to mention all in all a good event and great people and also a couple of potential domain sales

and a business opportunity or two

ps there was some work done and thanks all for making it a great time

Best regards steve

Last edited:
I have to say Edwin that your posts are fabulous.

I'm guessing by having read lots of your posts that you attend most of the domain related events around the world, and for those of us, who will never be able to get to them, its very kind of you to comment on your visits.

Have you ever organised one yourself?

Thanks for the kind words (I quoted just a selection of them, but it was all appreciated!)

I've only really been to European domain events, not adventured across to the bigger US shows yet. Who knows, one day I might just head over there, though the "vibe" seems quite different when I read the show roundups on DNJournal and elsewhere, with much more emphasis on parking and a near-ubiquity of .com over any other extension which makes it a lot less appealing to me.

I did put together a little meetup at the My Old Dutch pancake house in Holborn one evening a couple of years back, but it was a pretty unofficial affair without any agenda, presentations or anything like that. Still, over 40 people turned up if I remember rightly, and it was a fun evening...

Aside: I was lucky enough to bump into Reza in the queue for the EasyJet flight home this evening, and we spent the entire trip exchanging tales of the domain industry. Made the journey go in a flash, and gave my wife a chance to catch up on her sleep ;)

DomainFest Prague

Hi Edwin

I came back from DomainFest this morning bursting with energy and inspiration.
Full marks to the DomainFest team, who have worked so hard to make this event the resounding success it was. The excursions were stellar and enabled informal contacts between domainers and other people associated with the industry. I can honestly say that this has been one of the most beneficial conferences I have ever attended - I think they get better the more often you go. It is all about building trust between domainers and sharing information and ideas in a relaxed atmosphere (OK - a bit too relaxed sometimes, perhaps - my lips are sealed but you know who you are... ;) ).

The SEO presentation inspired me to work harder at my village websites and integrate videos in the future (I did not know that YouTube is the world's second largest search engine...). I knew about the importance of images but I have totally neglected videos and their potential for search.

Meeting you, Edwin, after so many years of occasional email exchanges, was one of my conference highlights. You understand domains and domain selling and what needs to be done to make domains appealing for end users. It was a genuine pleasure talking to you.

I also want to thank the people from DomainSponsor and OverSee.Net who made me feel so welcome. Particular thanks go to Joe Higgins, Juerg Schnermann and Aaron Kvitec - well done for a brilliant conference and for so many great introductions and insights.
I am looking forward to the DomainFest Global conference in February in LA.

Here is the DN Journal Lowdown about Prague.

Hope to see you soon, Edwin. Glad that you are back in the UK.

Best wishes
Angie

The SEO presentation inspired me to work harder at my village websites

In fairness, I don't think that will be too hard. :) its been years since I made my first comments about your 'sites' and it's such a shame to see they are still poor and still not serving the communities that they could benefit the most.

Edwin thanks for your post , i can only dream about attending (£££)

Why not set attending a conference as a goal for 2011, and save a bit of money from every domain sale towards it? The next one is not until June 2011 in Barcelona (relatively cheap to get to from the UK) and should be a lot of fun but also extremely productive...

I too attended this networking opportunity and was pleasantly surprised with the excellent events and activities. Most of which were covered earlier in this thread but hat off, with out a doubt the best event i have attended. (Angies being the exception to the rule of course)

I sat with Edwin and discussed some great ideas regarding reaching end users for premium domains, slated the auctions with Steve, mind you i don't think he needed my help to give them a hard time ;-) Covered some ground with Richard Irving and oggled the dancers with Angie, avoided getting hooked up by Reza and chatted with Brum in between shooting shotguns and sniper rifles, M16's and AK47's and Go Carting with Monte Cahn.

I have to agree with Edwin regarding the costs, it may appear to be a little on the expensive side but if Barcelona is nearly as good as Prague you really do get your monies worth, these events are designed to get us together and relax while getting to know more people and explore new opportunities behind every hand shake. I shook a lot of hands and every one i met said they had something positive out of it and that could be directly reflected as a potential for return on investment.

Many highlights and certainly a few solid opportunities. Big thanks to Angie for making me laugh so much surrounded by half naked women and Edwin for a great discussion on exposes - proof is in the pudding.

Dancers? Nobody told me about dancers...

Thursday night party - about 20 models and two dancers joined the party. Some serious eye candy to say the least, it was difficult to hold a conversation with out a very beautiful lady asking your name

As a result the domainers stop talking shop and the dance floor was quickly filled.

Smiles from all corners

Ah, that's what happens when you have an "early night" after dinner near the hotel :)

Anyway, even without the extra entertainment, it was a brilliant event and a wonderful time to meet people. Hopefully there will be another opportunity before Barcelona next year - maybe something less formal in London or elsewhere?

Why not set attending a conference as a goal for 2011, and save a bit of money from every domain sale towards it? The next one is not until June 2011 in Barcelona (relatively cheap to get to from the UK) and should be a lot of fun but also extremely productive...

That's when i make a ££££ sale .

I would love to go to these networking events

Thanks for the tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts