Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DomainLore limitations

Discussion in 'Selling Domain Names' started by TinkyWinky, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I'm quite surprised you don't see it as a sales platform. I spoke to a member I never heard of the other day who has sold £45k in domains on here and of course there have been 3 £xxx,xxx sales over the years, that I know of.

I've tried doing it a separate site and people tell me to keep it on the forums and it died a death.

I won't be indexing the sales forums so people needn't panic. If I do something I'd open new ones that people are made aware they are public.

Maybe that's the answer, to have a publically viewable and indexed sales forum.

Admin

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Let's be very clear - it's not £25k "passive" income, there's a LOT of work (both sustained and ongoing) involved to get that £25k. So it's apples and oranges compared to parked domains or affiliate sales for example.

4. chrisduggan United Kingdom

chrisduggan Active Member

Not saying there are no successful sales achieved I know many members that continue to see very good returns, it was more a general observation.

5. Ghengis United Kingdom

Ghengis Active Member

25k a year would not even touch the side to run DomainLore.co.uk if you look on every high street in the UK there is a Pound Land and they are always busy selling crap this is easy. Marketing quality is much harder but has a longer lifespan. I think Denys is just trying to keep his baby full of quality.

6. wb

wb Well-Known Member

How about opening the sales forums but setting them as 'noindex' if the general consensus is that it would help sellers? It could always be changed back if there is no improvement.

There is of course the problem though that Google is likely to index the URLs anyway (albeit without full meta data). This could make it possible for a researcher to find a sales thread simply from the search engine friendly URL structure the forum uses.

Edit: My personal opinion is that non-members should be able to physically see that there are sales forums. I just tried logging out to see what others would, and there is no mention of any sales forums as they are completely hidden. Perhaps make them visible but have the threads still only accessible for members.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  7. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

There is a computer help forum (expertsexchange?) which I have stumbled upon before via google however, you have to register to view the thread, would it be possible to do something similar?

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Maybe we should test a new sales forum, that is indexed, but members would know that when posting.

9. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

hehehehe :p

That would be great. I would stop people bumping their threads indefinitely ( except from when they are replying to another members post in their thread ). If no-one responds to the sales thread there must be a reason why - such as a low quality domain, the member could still edit their original thread to add details or change the price if they wished without bumping it.

You could do this by changing the post reply time for the thread starter to indeffinate instead of the current 12 hours (or whatever it is) & by leaving the editing time open indefinitely.

WW.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  10. namestrands

namestrands Active Member

If I may interject for a moment and offer some thoughts on this. AD in my opinion is like a club, a traders hangout where discussions about the industry go on, its also a marketplace for traders.

I would have a 7 day retention on sales threads for exclusive members, and 3 days for new members, afterwhich the thread deletes automagically. There should be no bumping and a domain should not be able to be resubmitted for 7 days following the end of the last submission.

Search indexing should be off completely.

There could be a daily email for domains for sale that users can subscribe to (I appreciate that this can be done already, but this should be more of a focus)

A paid promotion like 7 day sticky or bold could be considered.

11. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Some truly inspired ideas there. I love the idea that the threads get deleted automatically! But thumbs up to all of that.

12. chrisduggan United Kingdom

chrisduggan Active Member

13. Oceanic

Oceanic Active Member

You should look at this script http://geodesicsolutions.com/

I use their classifieds software for one of my sites and their support is good, the software is stable and full of functionality - they are also about to role a iPad integration. I am not a big fan of DomainLore so would welcome auctions on here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.