Domain Manage

Domainlore website

Discussion in 'General Board' started by DomainAngel, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DomainAngel United Kingdom

DomainAngel Retired Member

To start with I love this site, even though some rich artist beat me in an auction tonight.

There is currently a domain for sale Connaisseur.co.uk

Only has one bid and it's at £260 already.

It attracted my attention as it's not the correct English spelling for the word I thought It was, missing something thinking it was pretty worthless.

Can domainlore be used to send offers to, like sedo etc and if no higher bids original buyer gets it?

Are their any sub domainlore forums out there where domains are being listed?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

I was also a bit curious about this domain. I saw it advertised here first, then it was added to domainlore later the same day and I noticed that it already had a bid.

On a side note, there have been has decent sized sales on domainlore of late. Always good to see names break (or almost break) 1k.

4. DomainAngel United Kingdom

Yeah some really good sales there, and attracting end users who are getting bargains.

Makes sense now you mention it was advertised on here earlier. Must have had a bid and sent to auction there.

Quite an addictive site.

5. retired_member9

retired_member9 Retired Member

Hi all - glad you love the site :)

Domain moderation standards of what's accepted into auctions remain pretty much the same, however there are advanced bids and now opening bids -- all these can make auctions start automatically without passing through moderation queue.

It was a case of an opening bid with this domain name, I have noticed myself the pronunciation (seems to be a German spelling?) and will also be much interested to watch how it sells as I own the English spelling of this word.

6. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

If it helps =

"Connaisseur" is the modern French spelling, also used as a "borrowed word" in German. "Connoisseur" was "borrowed" from French over a couple of centuries ago, when spelling was not quite as rigid as today.

7. DomainAngel United Kingdom

I think that's where everyones confusion came from. As a co uk it's worthless and totally un developable. The uk spelling however has lots of potential.

So when you see a bid of 260 it gets you wondering.

8. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

But the English version was/is a TM for high end hifi - not all that useful, IMHO.

9. DomainAngel United Kingdom

So you can't use it for a hifi woo hoo

Some people on this forum Haven't got a clue about tm's. And if anyone has a domain which they are worried about. Post it and the forum can tell you if it needs releasing or can be used.

The english spelling of this could never be trademarked for it's meaning. And it's meaning is where it's value is.

If you owned the proper English meaning it could be used and become one he'll of a site. People love expert advice and if a site was run professionally it would be somewhere most discerning people would visit and could make a bomb through aff links etc.

As for the French word it's worth diddly and must be a mistake by the buyer.

10. lebowski

lebowski Active Member

The english spelling is a great generic and the site would have good potential. It would be another one of those generics that I'd love to develop if I first learned how to stop time. My major concern owning this would be the difficulty in spelling for type-in traffic, which would be reasonably important for a site of this nature. Of course you have the engines to offer a search on the correct spelling (if you get close on your attempt). Whilst I don't consider myself a conoisseur ... err connoseiur ... err connosieur ... an expert speller ;), this is one of those words people generally struggle with.

11. TinkyWinky United Kingdom

TinkyWinky Active Member Acorn Supporter

** This and most of the english language me thinks. ;) **

Which is a very good reason not to use for an online site unless you have a huge budget to promote PPC.

Don't get me wrong, I like the connotations and the potential for such a site, but it's just not something i would take a risk with unless i had all conceivable typos - thanks to most people's inability to spell proper like.

At least with askjeeves.co.uk (or similar alternative that coudl be used), the likelihood of people wondering how to spell correctly is minimal - even if their typing skills are hopeless.

TW

12. DomainAngel United Kingdom

The more I think about this name, the more potential it has.

Teh reality is, if you built a site with the correct spelt domain, the brand you would build would attract the type of people that would know the correct spelling, or at the least, have the ability to find you using SE's

People like experts and love expensive things.

A site or magazine, in a GQ style, for top end products.

Advertisers would be fighting to get on it.

The freebies the editorial staff would get to try products would be amazing haha

Just looked who the owner of the name is, has this changed recenlty? Anyway its the domain connoisseur himself.

13. rob

rob Founding Member

Thats why he has that one not Connaisseur.co.uk ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.