Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

domains!!! what went wrong ?

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by retired_member32, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

well i don't know about you but i am giving domains away,has it ever been this bad,i know we are in a recession and people are saturating the market with useless extensions that is a money making racket(have you noticed how expensive new extensions are......) but what else would you blame this collapse in confidence.:(

mark

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

The bills are mounting up on people, I don't know a single person who hasn't had hour/work time cuts and resulting cuts in pay, people are going on holiday now too, usually end june-early sept are holiday season and everyones broke.

I'm not even trying to sell at the moment, as people are offering silly money, in saying that I too am offering silly money for names that 12 months ago I'd have offer double for, but market forces and cash flow dictate it.

4. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

Peaks and troughs.

One month you'll sell nowt, then the next you'll sell ten. If I could work it out, I'd be minted!!

The prices this year have been lower than last, but it makes you look harder for reg fee domains, or makes you search more for buyers in the big bad world beyond AD. I fired off my first medium-sized mailshot last night, so hopefully that'll be fruitful!!? :?

5. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

it's like extracting teeth seriously i am really struggling and the missus was dooped into accepting a new teaching contract and we have lost £600 per month because she was paid hourly and now she is on a fixed term contract ,everybody seems to be taking the p**s.

6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Trade show and fairs always do well for me :)

They are never 4 figure domain name only sales, but can easily turn a 4 figure domainname and basic website :)

Industrial estates are always good too, you know these 'workshop' type units, where they are essentially just an oversized brick portacabin ? I don't know what the proper name is for them.

5 page website powered with wordpress or my own cms, and reg fee or caught domain name, =mid-high xxx to low x,xxx in about 12-18 hours including design time and visiting them :)

7. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

I know I prob say this a lot but, domains will sell better and look more appealable to buyers with an indexed mini site on it.

If it's making a bit of rev then all the better.

If you want to sell then it's worth the little extra effort. That's my plan anyways over the next few months. Cut back dead wood and prune and water my roses!! :D

8. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

It's not just domains, we aren't hitting profit levels on e-commerce either despite traffic levels going up!

9. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

sometimes a business looking for a domain to brand themselves want a clean domain with nothing indexed.

10. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

This is the dip before the up, so people should be investing, reinvesting and buying now before the unemployed get backing and start their businesses.

11. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

Why would they chose a "clean" domain over one that was already indexed and ranking for several terms that applied to that business?

12. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

well one reason being because they might want it for a completly different business model than the site has been indexed for.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  13. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

14. retired_member4

retired_member4 Banned

Domains are still selling if you find your buyer. No point parking at a Sedon't and waiting on an offer..

One thing I can suggest though, is get your list of "to reg sometime" domains regged. I've missed a load I had on a list "to reg sometime" went to reg them and they were gone. That didn't happen too much a year ago.

The influx of the yanks in the UK market is starting to show. I've seen a few Americanisms .co.uk for sale here recently. Let's hope they never catch on that these are worthless :)

15. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

I take it all back. That's my second sale in 4 weeks of a .me.uk domain for £xxx. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.