Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

domtastic what do you think

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by kierongibbs, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kierongibbs

kierongibbs Member

Hi just wondered what you guys think of the free appraisal from domtastic i understand its all about what someone will pay but does this search give you an idea that its a least half a good one ? any advice most appreciated

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Not as good an idea of value as you'll get in here. Your posting on Acorn is an easy way to tap into the collective wisdom of domainers with hundreds of years of combined experience in the industry. Contrast that to a piece of software that's following some kind of "formula" and you'll see it's basically a waste of time.

4. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

Let us be clear - nobody is going to slag off Domtastic on here, it is owned by one of our members!

But most of those domain evaluation tools do not have sufficient info to give you a true value.
    OTOH they retain info about recent searches - that works as external info, as far as the spiders are concerned, and improve the site's search rank.
    So if you have a good idea, and you have not registered it, you might be giving it away. Be careful ...

In the same line ...

Some registrars have a way of holding up ICANN names for four days, after you have checked the availability. So if you try the availability at one place, you have to buy from there, or wait - the domain will show as unavailable for four days at other registrars.

5. kierongibbs

kierongibbs Member

hi crabfoot thanks for the reply makes sense i guess due to my inexperience i was just getting confused...............it is misleading when you search on domtastic a domain and answer true to your knowledge and it comes back yours is worth .............15000 7500 35000 and some guys who i would respect there knowledge and opinions who say they are relativley worthless, and you kinda think well ok domtastic might be out by 25 % or 50 % but 99.9% wrong what is the point of that kind of facility, do you see what i mean

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Free domain appraisal tools generally tend to "clump" in the middle: they dramatically overvalue worthless domains (the programmer's too kind hearted to set it up to return a "worthless" verdict when quite often that's what it should do) and they also equally dramatically undervalue really tip-top commercial terms. Imagine programming a tool which, in effect, "insults" the owners of the majority of the names that are submitted to it. Nobody's going to set it up that way!

The problem occurs (aside from the kind-heartedness) because they tend to work on a number of factors that, behind the scenes, might each get scored from e.g. 1 to 10 (domain length, extension, etc.). With 6 factors, that gives a score of 6-60 and if the programmer has set default minimums of e.g. 50 pounds for "6" and maximums of 50,000 pounds for "60" it's going to be wildly off at both ends of the scale. Of course I don't know how this particular tool works inside the "black box" but generally that's how most of them seem to do it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. Hullkr

Hullkr Active Member

There are many occasions when a request for fellow members to appraise fails to happen.

We are all busy, pehaps a few think certain domains not worth comment.

The most sensible info is to see what similar DN's sell for and decide a plan.
    You can;

Develop, market the domain, park it or do nothing.

It appears there are many sellers but forum buyers are at a premium.

Russ

8. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

If you're not convinced about the difference in accuracy of automatic valuations vs real people's opinion then try selling the domains!

Do you honestly think that .co.uk domains that are naturally worth £x,xxx - £xx,xxx on the open market are just lying around waiting to be registered after 15 years? If it was that easy why would anyone pay more than registration fee for a domain name? Think about it - the aftermarket is driven by the fact that good domain names are RARE, not on the fact that they are so easy to get that someone with no experience can hand register a couple of dozen one afternoon.

I really think you're flogging a dead horse with this and the other thread - if you believe that you domain names have real value then follow up your own convictions and try to sell them. Phone up Sedo and Namedrive and see what they say - offer them for sale on sales threads here, on DNForum, DigitalPoint and Namepros. If you're right then they will sell, if you're not, then go back to the very first bit of advice you were given on your other "my brand new domains are worth millions" thread by Accelerator.

"I would also advise not buying any more domains until you have learnt how to identify valuable domain names."​

9. Hullkr

Hullkr Active Member

There are DN's out the there just waiting to be discovered as the world moves on... swine flu as an example.

I take your point that quality names are already registered but new worthwhile DN's are available!

10. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

I absolutely agree.

I hand registered GangMower.co.uk and GangMowers.co.uk a week or two ago, 14,800 and 8,100 exact UK monthly matches respectively for a product that costs £x,xxx to £xxx,xxx a unit.

My point was more about the fact that registering bulk names that a machine says are worth money without having experience of the market, then trying to sell them as such to that same market is a strategy that is doomed to fail in 99.99% of cases.

If you see Keiron's other thread in this section (essentially the same thread) from a day or two ago Edwin shows him exactly how to register good quality names.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.