Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.15 am here. Nothing seems wrong my end... All snappy.

I shall celebrate by going to bed.

E

Its been v slow and now I cant login to the site at all and the landing pages are struggling to appear!

Grant

On the twelfth day of Christmas...

Well, December anyway,

My true love gave to me...

Another server attack.

Since about 10am UK time, we have been receiving batches of rogue requests to our servers for URLs such as @@@$$///!!.20232.343.%%&& (significantly better than some of my domains). These are clogging the system massively and are being sustained on a malicious basis. We block a batch of IPs another batch come up, etc.

We're really beginning to get a bit bored of people who think they can knock us out of the market this way. We are also beginning to think that these two attacks that we have sustained in the last 3 months have been launched from market insiders rather than bored teenagers as nobody else stands to gain anything from doing so and we will fully investigate the matter - including the information that we found out from the last attack.

At any rate, we are the ones who end up looking like the bad guys but we can assure you that you should look forward to these attacks more than anything else, because you really do get money for absolutely nothing. The last time we were attacked, we had very little data on which to base any compensation. This time, we have a lot of statistical data on which to judge compensation, of which you will receive plenty - in fact we are inclined to over-compensate in this matter.
Please don't panic-move your domains away as this is exactly what these idiots are trying to achieve and you really will not lose anything as a result of these attacks.

I can only apologise profusely and hope that we can get things up as quickly as humanly possible. Our tech guys and server guys are working overtime to knock this thing on the head and we are 100% better prepared for this than when it happened in September.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. You will be compensated, you will not lose a penny through this attack.

Ed

P.S. I might just add that for those of you who remember the attack in September, this one isn't nearly as fatal to your pages. Our main concern is to make sure that your parking pages function properly and they are not as 'dead' as thy were in September. In fact, the large majority of requests are being processed, albeit slowly in some cases. Luckily, we detected the attack very early - one of the advantages of working pretty much 24 hours a day :)
We therefore expect the impact on earnings to be slight but we will make sure that none of you feel the pinch.

Last edited:
Yes I've got @@@$$///!!.20232.343.%%&&.me.uk, hopefully the CRT will be increasing as a result... :cool:

Best of luck as you fight off the feckers.

Thanks for the Good Luck. The tech guys reckon it'll be a matter of hour or hours before it's over - not the attack but the effects of it.

I've regged the .info, .be, .es and pre-regged the .eu of
@@@$$///!!.20232.343.%%&&
A lot of people seem to be looking for it.

Not that this is really a laughing matter. Madenning, underhand, malicious, but not laughing.

For those who believed I was actually uneducated with my reference to the 12 days of Christmas...
http://www.cresourcei.org/cy12days.html
You might learn something. I did. An eternal question answered.

Ed

I know why, it's a typo of @@@$$///!!.20232.343.%%&&*.me.uk

I saw Acorn was having trouble loading as well this morning. And Gmail was down for at least 30 minutes too.

Is it a full moon?

And Ratboy, I don't like to be a know-it-all, but I believe you'll find it's a typo of @@@$$///!!.20232.343.%%&&*.EDu.uk

Oh dear. I think it was me.

I logged in to acorn this lunchtime, then checked my gmail, then check namedrive.

Did i break the internet? :D

Up

The beasts have been repelled. We can only hope they stay away.

... and two come along at once.

To celebrate being up - and to introduce something that we were hoping to do amid calmer waters yesterday - our new affiliate program is up. It is on a tier level, so the more you refer, the more cash you get. Getting started is very easy - just log into your account, click on the 'my affiliates' tab and click "Start one now".

Also launched yesterday is our new Park & Sell campaign. We know that this is something that is perhaps less interesting for UK domainers as UK domains often don't have the traffic revenue we would like them to have, but it is something to bear in mind if you do have high-traffic domains.

Have fun, thank you for your support through the attack yesterday. Now the fun part of dishing out cash for nothing. Well our original banner did say 'get you money for nothing'...

Ed

Last edited:
Stats today

Hi guys,

Just to clear up the stats issue for today:

Although our domains have been working perfectly for nigh on twelve hours now, our tech team disabled the stats reporting in the member area to reduce the load on the servers during the attack. We have been tracking all action of course and the stats will be updated during the course of the next couple of hours.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

Ed

Hi everyone, you may experience a bit of lag as we are experiencing an identical attack to last week (in fact basically the same attack... However, our chums are on it and they know exactly what to do. We are constantly checking all pages and everything is working fine so far. We do not see our system being any slower or less-repsonsive than normal, but I just thought I'd point out that you may get that stupid 'Our database servers are reloading' error again when you try to log into your accounts...

Ed

Our tech guys reckon it's more a problem with a Sedo programing script than an attack - but we're not really in a position to say, though they seem to be up and working again.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts