Domain Manage

dreamweaver

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by cav, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cav United Kingdom

cav Active Member

What do people think of dreamweaver?

I currently use FP but thinking of buying dreamweaver. Is it worth it?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. GreyWing

GreyWing Retired Member

The common understanding is that unless you really really know what you are doing to use dreamwaever to it's full ability, which most people don't. It's too expensive for what most people need.

4. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

I'd have said it depends on what you're trying to build.

Over the years I've previously used Dreamweaver, Frontpage and GoLive (all machine apps), but then moved to Joomla and now Wordpress Mu (both online CMS).

I found Joomla to be a bit too heavy duty & over complex for a straightforward site, but WPMu has been amazingly powerful / flexible for what I'm trying to achieve - and sites can be edited from any browser. I still use Frontpage to edit scripts, but not to publish.

Basically, I'd advise anyone to fit their creative environment to the type of site they are trying to build, rather than to start out by choosing the software / platform & then learning what you can do with it.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to get together a shortlist of sites you like and then investigate how they were built?

5. woopwoop United States

woopwoop Well-Known Member

I agree with GW about you need to know what you are doing to use all the features.

Now I use Dreamweaver for everything, sometimes just editing the html or php in the file directly on the server, but I started out with Front Page, Go Live and then DW like Ty above.

If you can teach yourself and have patience, maybe look at some youtube help videos then you'll really get to like the benefits of DW over FP.

Maybe you should take a look at the videos before you buy to see what you think.

Good luck

6. davedevelopment United Kingdom

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

And get yourself a Trial Version, have a try.

And maybe try some free alternatives.

I'm more developer than web designer, so I just use a text editor, difficult for me to comment further.

7. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

Dreamweaver is a stepping stone if you want it to be, a lot of people who use it tend to stay with it simply because it's a comfortable environment once you know your way around, I fall into that group. Basically too lazy or too busy to put any more effort into going a bit deeper. You need to have a very broad knowledge of markup before moving to a text editor.

8. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

yes i think doubletap hit the nail on the head ,i still use 2004 version and because i am comfortable using it and i am far too lazy to learn new techniques so i will stay with it....

9. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

If you want a free alternative try kompozer: KompoZer - Easy web authoring

Personally I'm a hard-case, coming from a software house using c,I've always used vi, or now gVim with a custom syntax highliter & a local server environment.

S

10. Tricky1 United Kingdom

Tricky1 Active Member

Personally I'm a hard-case, coming from a comprehensive, I haven't got a fecking clue what your on about..

11. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

hmm, get that a lot. Not the best to use as a chat up line!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.