Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Drop catching...?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by NickC, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickC Spain

NickC Active Member

Hey everyone,

Im pretty new to drop catching and been looking at a few services who offer monthly packages like - namesplace .co .uk for instance.

There packages range from £125 per month (max 5 catches) to £225 per month (unlimited catches). Has anyone used this service or can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. spiderspider

spiderspider Active Member

Not exactly sure how things work, but the domain is registered in the companies name, and that company is showing as dissolved when I check on CH.

Personally, I wouldn't hand over any money, until I knew exactly what was going on there.

That combined with just a mobile number on the site, and no other details, you'll never know where your money goes.

4. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

There are quite a few posts about this - probably best just searching the forum.

If you spot a domain you like (on domainlore or domainview) then post an add in this section a few days before it's due to drop - requesting a catch and post what you're prepared to play.

Don't post the domain - catchers will get back to you with their tag (so you know who's catching on your behalf), then you get the domain over to them.

If they catch it - you pay the agreed fee.

Also - don't be expecting them to catch lll.co.uk or premium drops without them asking asking for a suitable fee.

Most of the best catchers in the UK space are members of this forum so you stand the best chance having them catching for you.

5. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

If you really want a domain, best bet is to book it in as many places as possible to increase the chances of getting it and as suggested above, post to see if any private catchers have slots free on the desired day (without giving away the domain name just to be safe!)

6. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Do you mean a host providing a catching system for use with your own EPP and DAC?

Dave

7. NickC Spain

NickC Active Member

Hi

I was looking at setting up my own EPP and DAC with companies that provide a hosted service.. Would this be more beneficial then booking them from a 3rd party and would i stand a chance at catching some with this set up against the like of the big players?

I have tried to use a catching service but since registering and booking in a number of domains i've yet to catch one and and yet to receive any email from them. does anyone recommend a forum user to contact about catching?

Thanks for the info guys, I'll do a little research

8. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

A hosted solution may help on marginal names as you can load just the single domain, whereas a public catcher may be after several names, however, if it is a name you really want, put it on your own system and as many public / private catchers as possible to increase your chances. The catching game is essentially all about increasing your chances of getting that "Domain Create" request first over the line at Nominet

9. NickC Spain

NickC Active Member

As you can guess i'm new to drop catching and only really just started reading up about it and want to try my luck :)

I've read afew articles about the quality of the software/script and proximity of the server in relation to nominet plays a small part in the success rate - with this in mind does anyone have any recommendations on which hosted service provider to use, I can only find a handful online so far?

Has anyone used any previously and had much success?

I've already become a nominet member and have my TAG/ DAC subscription good to go. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

10. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

Out of interest - how did you pass the online exam?

11. NickC Spain

NickC Active Member

Are you referring to the signing up process to become a nominet registrar?

12. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Not just a small part, but everything! Quality script and hosting is the difference between having a chance and having no chance. Unfortunately for the most part, the only scripts worth having are not advertised, as they are hand by the owners and seldom shared. You could try dropsystem, not used myself but Dale is highly trusted within the industry and is known to have a good system; albeit very expensive.

For a self-managed tag, the process is straight forward; the questions can be largely ignored as you don't have to meet certain agreements that you would be with the other memberships.

13. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

2013-10-08 Dissolved company :wink: might give you a clue???? I’d say if you have to ask any questions about drop catching then don’t bother money down the drain. If you have something that works why share it....

As other have said use those that are doing it well or contact owners before they drop using the 2k odd you’ll save you should be able to get something ok

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  14. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the kind mention Ian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.