Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Drop List Required

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by jrowlinson, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrowlinson Spain

jrowlinson Active Member

Hi,

I'd like to buy drop lists preferably an xml feed or similar. Can anyone supply this? If not in another format?

Thanks

John Rowlinson

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. woopwoop United States

woopwoop Well-Known Member

Need droplists

I'm also interested if you were able to find a drop list service.

I know that there is a popular one which is always recommended but it's £50/month - which I might go for but would like any cheaper options if people can recommend.

4. rob

rob Founding Member

Generally you get what you pay for - and its much cheaper than membership / DAC / scripting / sorting DB lists etc ie. DIY option :)

Cheers,
    Rob.

5. foz

foz Well-Known Member

6. woopwoop United States

Thanks Foz. I checked out the link - have visited why_think before but never seen a current list so it's great that your link matches when the new list has come out - Thanks

£2 a day sure isn't a lot, but domaining and developing sites has gone from a hobby, to something a lot more for me. Add £50/month is £600 a year, add that to my hosting costs (a few grand a year), my ever increasing stash of domains and I know there are other costs I am trying not to remember.... becomes pretty expensive.

Rob I'm also a true believer in you get what you pay for generally - but we know that it's not always the case - free information can still be worth something and cheap domains can be worth a lot (expensive domains can be worth reg fee!)

My problem is I don't like parting with the domains I buy...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  7. foz

foz Well-Known Member

BTW, £600 PA. Fair enough, depends on where your at.

8. woopwoop United States

LOL - I've edited my post now - That was with you saying £2/day (less than).

Yep I agree it does depend where you're at. I can't think about my yearly renewals bill - like a gambling habit, I just think about my winnings ;) (the few domain sales I make)

9. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

10. crobbo

crobbo Active Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  11. Oscar7

Oscar7 Member

domains lists

so anybody any ideas of where to find free lists. I am sure there will be some around.

The ******** list is never upto date, their latest list is domains dropped on 30th November 2008, 1 month ago!

Also generally what are you guys doing with your domains, parking, developing sites, affiliates, etc?

Anybody got any magic formula?

Apologies for all the questions, been in internet game for 10 years, but only just acknowledged the domaineering market.

12. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

DAC access is quite cheap if you already have Nominet membership so you could easily roll your own lists. I doubt that there are many people wanting to give away their hard work though.

13. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

@ Monaghan, If you wanted to generate your own drop lists using that DAC thing and Nominet, what sort of £ outlay would you be looking at to get it all set up?

14. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Lots of time, some coding skills, and £500+ Vat for most of the nominet costs (join fee (one off), membership fee, dac fee).

The hard part is generating the keywords to run thru the dac.

15. foz

foz Well-Known Member

I wish Nominet would publish "suspended" lists.

The .nz equivalent do. And their policy is "first come first served".

It would certainly add clarity.

16. monaghan United Kingdom

As Skinner says
    the quality of your list will be dependant on the leg work you do building & maintaining lists, pouring your list into the DAC and recording the answer is a fairly simple technical exercise (well I thought it was quite simple, others might not)

17. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

A bit more technical than I though it would be then, I was thinking people used some off the shelf software, which gave the results for all names dropping every day, didn't realise you had to search for specific keywords, is there no way you can just download every name that's going to drop using dropping software?

Time wise, I have all the time in the world to run something like that if I had the initial set up costs, once I have saved for my new bike, I might look in to saving up to set something like this up.

What are the coding skills needed for? Is it something that any programmer would be able to do, or would you need a specific working knowledge of how DAC and Nominet works to code something?

18. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

You need the coding skills to generate the list, there are many list building programs around but you soon learn altho they speed up the basic task they won't help you in the long run as they only run 1 kind of build at a time, where if you code a tool yourself you can run 100 builds at once.

You also need some programming skills to write the app that ram the data into the DAC, then pulls it out, processes it and returns useful data.

Any programmer that reads the spec on noms site should be able to put something together.

19. monaghan United Kingdom

Nominet don't make the zone files available to joe public, if they did, everyone would have 100% accurate lists with every name on them.

To setup all you need is DAC access, write a bit of code to pull in your word list, stick a .co.uk (or other desired .uk extension) on the end of the word, open a stream to the DAC, stuff in your list record by record and record the results back to your list, simple really.

If you use a database for your list you can then run simple queries each day to get your drop list.

Take it a step further and you can re-use some of the DAC code along with an EPP or PGP registration engine and catch your own domains.

Naturally, you'll need to write your own code in your preferred language to make it happen, but everything you need to know about the DAC, Automaton and EPP is documented by Nominet.

I did it for fun initially (I know I have a strange idea of fun :)) but then refined and tuned the code to catch a few names here and there for myself and my customers. Details of where people get their initial lists and how they tune their systems will of course not get shared with you as some people make good money out of their systems.

20. ratboy United Kingdom

ratboy Well-Known Member

Pick a niche. Start small and build slowly, or you'll buy any name you can (like me) and end up with loads of names that while OK don't really do anything.

Pick a topic you like. Build lists of good words and start small.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.