Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Dropcatching VPS / Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,

Are there any members offering VPS / servers that have awesome response times to the nominet DAC servers?

Or recommendations - you can PM me if necessary!

TIA!

Are you asking for someone to help give us another competitor :D ;)

Are you asking for someone to help give us another competitor :D ;)

hehe I just do it for fun! I've played around with my own dropcatching scripts in this area for years but was wondering if I could shave another millisecond off and help give some VPS/Server business to a fellow acorner :D

There are a few individuals on here that offer a hosted solution, though it would be with their own script, rather than yours. A couple off the top of my head would be DaveP and Caz, might be worth using one of them.

If you want to host your own script, then you'd need your own server, be that VPS or Dedicated, depending how much you want to pay. I'm still not convinced the system has yet returned from turning into a lottery system, though Nominet deny any such measures.

Takes me back to those old WHOIS checker days when the same tags mysteriously collected the majority of dropped domains - wasn't it meant to be random back then? :)

Lol it was more random than now. Then you had a quota and you used the automaton to email your purchase attempts. You had a set amount per day (1000 if I remember rightly) and the nearest one to the drop time got it. No milliseconds, no closest servers, no 16 checks per second etc. When the system changed it effectively eliminated a lot of tags from ever having a chance when they did before as, regardless of script (unless it was incredibly poorly written) location and speed became the decider. Of course the rest of us adapted but to claim it was less random before the DAC is mad. If you were checking the WHOIS you were doing it wrong ;) For a start the whois was 5 minutes behind the actual records.

Last edited:
If you were checking the WHOIS you were doing it wrong ;) For a start the whois was 5 minutes behind the actual records.

It's a long time ago, but, if I remember correctly, we didn't check to see if the domain was available, just simply tried to register it - over and over - and hope for the best!

If I were looking for a suitable site, then I would research the current BGP routes from and to Noms, and see where they lead. Now you have at least one keyword to research.
It's public information.

If I were looking for a suitable site, then I would research the current BGP routes from and to Noms, and see where they lead. Now you have at least one keyword to research.
It's public information.

Thanks for the advice! I'm currently hitting nominet's router ~1.4ms and I know to be serious I need another ms quicker. I'm only playing around and don't expect to catch anything competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom