Domain Manage

Dropped Domain TM Issue

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by gregfindley, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregfindley

gregfindley Active Member

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help with some advice, posting this on behalf of a friend (here in the UK).

His company held the domain name 'CompanyVideos.com'
    Company being their Company name which is also a Trademark in the UK, USA, Europe & Asutrailia.

They were away on a business trip at the time of renewal and unfortunately due to a change of registered address (and problems with 123-Reg) were unable to prevent the domain dropping. So the domain dropped and it was caught, the WhoIS has been privacy protected and there's no contact details available.

The question is, can my friend put in a claim on the basis of the TM being in the domain name? They had previously used the domain as a private FTP area for videos, and were planning on releasing a new site for their videos in the coming months.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks, Greg

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I think they should engage a good domain lawyer if they have any sort of budget for that kind of thing. The ability to call on professional advice is probably worth a lot in this situation; at the very least, they'll be sure they're doing the right thing at every stage.

4. gregfindley

OK thanks for the reply Edwin, much appreciated, would they be best contacting someone in the UK for that, or in the States? Thanks, Greg

5. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

Try asking someone like John Berryhill in the US.

Have they asked for a price re: getting the name back? That would be the simplest solution.

Doing a UDRP can get expensive when you take the time and legals into account, and you have to prove bad faith. Also if you try and lose then you're over a barrel.

6. gregfindley

Thanks Ty, have actually posted a similar thread on DNForum.com in the John Berryhill sub-forum. Will pass on all these responses to my friend and let him take it from there.

Thanks again,
    Greg

7. ABCV United Kingdom

ABCV Active Member

Good luck with that and I hope your friend gets it at the end.

8. afx United Kingdom

afx Active Member Exclusive Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.