Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

dropped.uk drop catching service

Discussion in 'Services Offered' started by dropped.uk, Feb 22, 2016.

1. dropped.uk

dropped.uk Active Member

dropped.uk is a UK domain name drop catching service.

We've just launched our public dropcatching service, and are now taking backorders for suspended UK domain names (.co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk and .uk).

We only accept one booking per domain. We will advise at the point of booking if another user has already backordered your requested domain.

Our service is designed for one-off, occasional and bulk bookings.

For more information or to place a backorder, visit https://dropped.uk.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Do you have to buy credits in advance?

4. dropped.uk

dropped.uk Active Member

Hi Ian,

Currently, yes. However if the general consensus is to change that model, then we're willing to adapt to our customers requirements.

We wanted to avoid a single individual booking everything up, and give everyone a fair chance to use our service.

Guy.

5. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Understood, the model you have is certainly the best approach for preventing as you say a single individual booking everything, but aside from one public catcher that offers other services combined, it isn't something I consider, as catches are naturally few and far between.

6. PaulK

PaulK Well-Known Member

Not so sure that would happen, there's numerous catchers out there offering pay on catch - most simply limit the number of bookings you can make.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dropped.uk

dropped.uk Active Member

Thanks for the feedback Paul. We did initially consider a post-pay model which we will review again.

8. bluerock United Kingdom

bluerock Well-Known Member

I'd use a post pay model but would not consider prepay.

9. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Were you "stung" like many others here claimed to have been by one established drop catcher of old who shut up shop for ages and refused to refund?

10. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Hope changes are made because ultimately, what difference does it make to you whether customers pre-pay or not? I assume the only benefit of pre-pay is that the money is guaranteed should a domain be caught. You will have times where a domain is caught and suddenly the buyer disappears, but at least you still own the domain so risk is lessened.

Have you considered a scaling option like drop.co.uk? It means a customer can select how much they are willing to pay above and beyond the base level. Useful if there is a domain they really want and by adding a higher prices, means you can prioritise the amount of queries are used to catch said domain.

I was, but reclaimed through Paypal as it was a fairly recent transaction at the time. They have subsequently returned offering credits again. I won't be buying, as I'm sure many won't.

11. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Another model would be to set a kind of "membership" at 2x the cost of a catching slot.

So for example, if your slots cost £30 each then people prepay £60 for membership that gives them the right to book as much stuff as they like.

However, unless they settle their bills within X days you deduct what they owe from the membership fee and their membership then gets suspended until they replenish it back up to £60.

(I'm sure the idea needs tweaking, but it seems like a reasonable half-way house between having to pay for every slot up front, and being "free" to book every slot you like - the idea being that it keeps people focused on paying your bills on time)

12. dropped.uk

dropped.uk Active Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I've added the pay-on-catch facility, so you can now place backorders without committing financially.

Edwin - I took your suggestion and currently the half-way house is that those that carry a financial balance can backorder more domains.

Guy.

13. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Much better, though looking through the list of domains I'm watching, all but a couple have been booked already, which suggests to me either the uptake has been significant, or that you are also booking domains for yourself using this system? Maybe you can confirm?

14. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

Well done for taking on the feedback so quickly, you will get a LOT more custom this way.

15. dropped.uk

dropped.uk Active Member

Hi Ian,

I do book my own domains using the system, but I too am subject to the first come first served rule. Everything being monitored in the near future is for customers. The next drop booked for myself is in March.

Guy.

16. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Your decision of course, but I'm not aware of any other public catchers that do this; they use a separate membership/tag, otherwise you are conflicted. Keep them separate in my view.

Also, feedback, prevent allowing the booking of domains that are not due for suspension/cancellation, only those marked Y for suspended. Save you a lot of hassle.

17. dropped.uk

dropped.uk Active Member

Thanks Ian, I thought Nominet rules prevent an additional membership and DAC subscription. Surely when I disclose the linked accounts, Nominet would reject?

The system is set to check for suspended = Y. Can you can provide a sample domain that's booked that isn't suspended?

18. ian

ian Well-Known Member

You'd probably need to ask one of the public catchers, as they use a separate tag, whether that is a split of their query allowance I do not know, maybe one of them will confirm.

Ah ignore then, I may have checked a domain that is suspended but not due to drop.

19. dropped.uk

dropped.uk Active Member

Please PM me the domain to I can take a look!

20. ian

ian Well-Known Member

It's irrelevant because the status will be Y because of the suspension, but it is due to other reasons than expiry; you won't be able to avoid it, but they are few and far between.

21. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

When I setup my 2nd TAG, I enquired whether I could have a personal membership in addition to my company membership and was told that they would be linked despite the limited company being a separate entity to me.

Any catches I want are booked via an account on the public front-end and I take my chances on whether they have been booked. I don't know any fairer way of doing this.