Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

effing royal mail!

Discussion in 'General Board' started by tifosi, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Just a rant...

<rant>
    Sold some items on ebay last week. Of the dozen or so 1 has been lost (1st class recorded delivery!) and another was delivered totally smashed to pieces.

Never again! Note to self: Don't use RM parcel delivery! wasters!
    </rant>

there, feel better now.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. mat

mat Well-Known Member

It is amazing how often packages get lost with them.

4. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

There's lost and there's "lost". Probably no coincidence the box - which was wrapped up well with a covered label & return address - was the same size as a mobile phone package. hmmm...

5. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

Since the dispatches report on them I have never trusted them. I have actually successfully claimed on damage to an expensive item through their fault.

edited for accuracy :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  6. Rob_F United Kingdom

Rob_F Well-Known Member

The Royal Mail are crap. I'm convinced they never forward on any mail that's sent to my PO Box. Shame really, the Royal Mail was once a great company/service – not so much these days, unfortunately :(.

- Rob

7. mat

mat Well-Known Member

Ahhhh! So im not the only one who has noticed this. They use such out of date systems. They literally turn up with the first line of my address scribbled on them, its not suprising half dont turn up. You would of thought they would print or apply some kind of sticker with your full address on it.

8. khalid

khalid Well-Known Member

have you tried tweeting them - their twitter support crew are pretty decent.

9. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Maybe time to drop the 'Royal' title. I doubt QEII owns a majority stake or even her government. Not looked it up but just guessing.

10. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

It's sad to say, but now if I send anything other than a letter to London I send it by signed for delivery (used to be called recorded). Otherwise, chances are it will go missing.

That said, posties in this part of the country are brilliant.

11. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Royal Mail won´t accept it as lost if you only sent it last week. Then they make it as difficult as possible to claim (big form, need the actual proof of postage not just reference number, etc).

12. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

I have just come across these ppl who may be a nice alternative to RM (not promoting them & have no affiliation) check the exclusions list though, it's quite extensive.

13. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

Hermes are used mainly by catalogue firms, because they are cheap. I wouldn't recommend them, but they may have improved recently.

What you want depends what you are sending. Big and bulky stuff is often best sent using one of those people that advertise on eBay - they look for extra trade to maintain the discounted rate they pay for parcel services. Usually, the stuff is collected / delivered by Parcelfarce or DHL.

Sometimes, "lost" is a kindness - you can claim it back, when smashed up porcelain or glass can't be claimed for because it is excluded.

You have to remember that parcels pass through automated systems, and get crammed into "cages" by people who take their brains out before clocking in.
    Best protection is a "crumple zone" built into every parcel around the goods.

14. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

They've finally found and delivered it. 1st class. Well sort of. Only 2weeks late!!

On the other hand they've smashed another item which was boxed and bubble wrapped. They would have had to throw it against a wall then stamp on it!! Had to refund that which is another £10 down the swannie!

S

15. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the Royal Mail's stupidity can work in your favour - they paid out £150 to me on a damaged Special Delivery item a few years ago. And then they paid it again a week or so later.

Oops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.