Domain Manage

election & digital economy bill?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by tifosi, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

With the imminent dissolution of parliament (lock your doors the canvassers are coming!) what is going to happen to the current passage of the 'digital economy bill'?

Is it dead in the water - considering the 2nd reading that was due, or is it on haitus until later, and what will happen with a change of government?

S

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

Its passage will still happen because it's addressing shortfalls in (any) Government control/oversight of all things digital. The effects on the domain industry only form a small part of the bill anyway, mainly because of its 'wild west' makeup.

Of course, if Nominet comes under Government control, then much of the legal function will pass over to Government too. You did notice two lawyers jump ship from Nominet recently?

4. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

5. GreyWing

GreyWing Retired Member

From what I heard they brushed off the fact that Nominet voted through the changes and it made no difference at all, the proposed legislation hasn't changed a bit.

As for the bill itself, I think the tories had a decent part in shaping it and some sat on the committees for it, so my bet it will still go through and be actedn and only certain bits being tweaked. I think they'll drop the bit where isp's need to cut people off though, can't see that happening.

6. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

Of course it hasn't made any changes to the Bill, surely no one really thought it would?

Nominet however is a different matter, they got all the changes they asked for!

You gotta laugh!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.