Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

External HDD enclosure help

Reaction score
I have a collection of old HDDs retrieved from redundant computers that I am finally getting around to sorting out.

I have a UGreen enclosure that allows me to put an old HDD in and it acts as an external HDD.

But I have some HDDs that don't fit it (see image). Does anyone know if I need a different enclosure or some sort of adaptor lead to be able to access this type of HDD*?

IMG_5568.jpg

*Assuming it is a HDD!

This looks ideal. Would this just plug into my hdd, the USB into my PC and I would have access to the hdd?

Correct.

At the top of the image is a socket with four prongs. Do I just ignore that

That is the power supply, a cable is provided with the device.

As follows:

91tTpRkWzaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Correct.

That is the power supply, a cable is provided with the device.

Brilliant. I think this is exactly what I am after. Just to confirm, do I get the Sata + ISE option?

The drive in your image is IDE, you could just get a USB to IDE if you want to save a few quid.

I would personally get the SATA option as well.

Thanks Darren - ordering it now.

Thanks too, Paul.

Both of your help is much appreciated. Acorn at its best!

That's it arrived. My only problem is that the two sockets are closer than in the Sabrent diagram and I cannot plug both leads in at the same time because of the design of the multi-use plug. Is there a trick to doing this?

Have you got the old IDE ribbon cable that connected the drive to the motherboard?

f2f983ff-982e-425d-936e-0b0eddf47b0a.JPG

Does it have some kind of housing around the drive?

I don't think so. Two have a gap between the two sockets and I have them working so that alone is fantastic.

Two others are designed with no space between the two sockets and because of the design of the multi-use plug it is obstructing the power cable.

I also cleverly threw away the actual computers, but may be able to find an IDE ribbon cable. Would that act as a connector?

I also cleverly threw away the actual computers, but may be able to find an IDE ribbon cable. Would that act as a connector?

Yes it should, i might have one laying if you need it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom