Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

F&^&* Estibot!

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by tifosi, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Had an enquiry a few days ago. Gave a reasonable quote. Got a reply and negotiated a price based on the quote.

Quiet for a few days then they come back with... 'researched the actual market value of the domain and found it to be only worth...http://www.estibot.com/appraise.php'

Don't know whether to laugh or swear. Suffice it to say I replied to say just what we think of estibot and to see what google & amazon are viewed to be worth!

sheesh!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Did you check domainprices.co.uk for similar UK sales?

4. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

I advised them to look at the site as part of the reply. From knowledge & experience I know in what the region the aftersales value of the domain is.

5. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

There's a thread on here somewhere dissing Guestibot ( as I call it )

You could send them to it but then again they will see domains on here selling for £30 to £50 each so could be a negative ?

That site is a joke :evil:

6. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

that could be a polite way to say someone talks bollocks. :D

see that bloke next to the fruit machine, yeah, don't get talking to him, he really likes to 'quote estibot'. yeah he's an estibotter :D

7. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

His name is EmailCollect - not DomCollect. Estibot is awful :( ignore buyer & delete from inbox

8. sdsinc Iceland

sdsinc Active Member

I though it was newbie domainers who believe in automated appraisals ?
    Now end users are as clueless ?
    Maybe you're actually dealing with a domainer that is lowballing you.

9. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

an enduser would never quote estibot
    I think you could narrow it down to: an american, male, under 25, acne, no girlfriend, sits on his right hand to make it feel like someone else

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

A possible answer: "Kindly note that our pricing is not governed by random third party estimates of the value of our domains. Since we are the sole source for DOMAIN, if you would like to purchase it, the asking price *will* be £price. If acquiring DOMAIN is no longer of interest, then I wish you the best of luck finding a suitable alternative that will serve your business as effectively."

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

There is so little trust in domain sellers then I can understand why a savvy business person might try to see if the domain he wants is worth paying for?

If you google "How much is a domain worth" you get a site using estibot as first place site. You can't blame people for thinking the tool might be of some use in pricing.

Regarding Edwin's possible answer: "Kindly note that our pricing is not governed by random third party estimates of the value of our domains. Since we are the sole source for DOMAIN, if you would like to purchase it, the asking price *will* be £price. If acquiring DOMAIN is no longer of interest, then I wish you the best of luck finding a suitable alternative that will serve your business as effectively."

I don't think it pays to be smart! Just alienates people against the secondary market and reinforces their low opinion of this industry.

Stephen.

12. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Ok, perhaps it could be finessed a little better, but I can tell you for a fact that we have closed plenty of sales because we're not afraid to stand our ground - and walk away from a deal if the numbers don't work.

In fact, I'd ballpark that about a quarter of our end-user sales have been to buyers who balked at the price (or "found an alternative name") and then came back months (or in a few cases years) later with a renewed appetite for buying, probably because their "alternative" turned out not to be all that they hoped it would.

13. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Worse than Estibot is the web designer suggesting to the client, pay no more than reg. fee to that squatter. At least Estibot gives you a margin :)

14. sdsinc Iceland

sdsinc Active Member

Sad but true...

15. bakais

bakais Active Member

the same goes for 'url appraisal', gives different estimates depending on the day of the week, I personally like to go by sedo price suggestion or look at other similar sales.

16. Marcoose

Marcoose Well-Known Member

Well worded Edwin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.