Domain Manage

Famous Name Domains

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by johncrossy, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johncrossy

johncrossy Active Member

Hi All,

I've just acquired a few domains for some of the favourites for this years X Factor and wondered what the situation was with regards to marketing them for sale?

Is it a situation where I can carefree state the domain is for sale, linking it directly to the contestant, or do I need to be mindful of anything?

Thanks in advance...

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

According to the law if you use or market them as being in any way connected to the X-Factor contestants you'd more than likely be guilty of passing off.

You'd also be unlikely to win a DRS if they did decide to come after you.

See this decision regarding WayneRooney.co.uk http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/9378_waynerooney.pdf

If you read through the case all of the usual arguments from the registrant about why the name shouldn't be transferred (intended for a fan site, no trademark at time of registration etc) were ignored and the decision went to the complainant.

4. johncrossy

johncrossy Active Member

Thanks Ty, really helpful!

ADMIN PLEASE REMOVE

5. droid United Kingdom

droid Active Member

After all that you would have thought they would have kept the name.

Probably best delete the thread in case they decide another DRS

Gary

6. sexyhost

sexyhost Member

He lost the domain because his arguments didn't hold water. He claimed it was for a fanstie but then never built one. He claimed after rooney transferred to man utd, he lost interest in making it a fansite (his sole reason for buying it). If that was the case, and he had lost interest, why did he renew the domain ? Instead he parked it. If he had just gone ahead and built a small 1 page fansite, he could have kept the domain IMHO. Although, i have no idea, i am just looking at it logically and after reading through between the lines, thats what i took from it.

So, id say just build a fansite !!

p.s I also bought a "contestants name" and have built it into a fansite. Hopefully they win it and someone comes in with an offer as i know they have a great chance !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.