Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

feb 2014 storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well, it never rains but it pores.
Brace yourselves, 100 mph winds.

I cant believe the weather this year its been terrible, and there is no let up in sight any time soon. I feel so sorry for those dealing with the floods down south.

Here's a photo I took of a tornado that passed by my house a couple of weeks ago..

We're on a massive hill and man, it's very windy today :(

tornado.jpg

Wow, that photo looks very bad. Fingers crossed for you.

More like Staines-in-the-thames!

My sister lives in Sunbury with a house backing onto the river and works in Chertsey. Waiting to hear if she's underwater!

Very high winds here in County Cork, and the lights are flickering a lot, being out in the countryside, there's no wind protection, and the electricity wires share the phone telegraph poles, I can see one of the poles tilting a bit just along from the house :(

In the lane next to the house there are 2 large fir trees from the neighbours garden which have snapped in half and are laying across the lane, 2 others trees in his garden have snapped, they are (were) all are about 40 - 50 feet tall.

Really strong winds here in Cheshire; open countryside so also no protection. Already had the recycling bin go over with me chasing the rubbish around the garden; expecting our fence panels to also collapse as the post is rotten! Get through the night, pay the price tomorrow I guess!

Have to go out later, country lanes laden with trees all the way, should be fun!!!

they are (were) all are about 40 - 50 feet tall.

Long, rather than tall now I suppose. It's always sad to see aged trees blown over.

We lost our fair share of roof tiles before Christmas. It's neverending isn't it.

Northwest

They certainly weren't kidding when they issued us with a red warning here on Merseyside.

Neighbours lost half his back fence and the Café over the road half their sign

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 103
@ martin, yes, longer rather than taller now lol

The neighbour has a long row of the fir trees going the length of his property down the side of the lane, last summer he lopped most of them as he has a big polytunnel next to them, presumably did that to let more light in, so they're all stumps about 20 feet tall, but he left the others, and those are the ones that have gone now, save him doing it I suppose :)

Just spotted something a short while ago, there's a thick electric cable that goes from under the eaves of our roof over to the garage, the cable has dropped a good few feet and I'm able to touch (I didn't) it if I put my arm up, it was several feet higher than that before, and looking up I can see all the ridge tiles have lifted above where the cable goes under the corner of the eaves, another job for the landlord to fix.

Last edited:
Two lots of fence panels now down, and had to cancel going to my nieces birthday party (2 years old). This country has taken one hell of a battering this year so far!

My Mrs went over to my mums house yesterday to look after her dog while shes away until Sunday, the Mrs just phoned to say they have a power cut there, also the house phone line isn't working :(, good job my mum left her mobile phone for her to use.

She's not sure if the phone line is to do with the wind, or if it's because my mums house phone runs of the electric, as my mums phone is somehow plugged in to the electric to charge the phone as it's like a mobile phone you can walk round with it. She's gone to ask neighbours if there phone is working, as theirs comes off the same telephone pole.

I've just put my bike lights on to charge just in case the same happens here.

Here are our the neighbours trees down in the lane:

b4yd1l.jpg

Last edited:
Mrs just phoned back, my mums neighbours home phone isn't working either, so both power and electric have gone down at the same time, must be the same electric/phone pole gone down somewhere, and of course it's freezing there because the oil central heating isn't working, as that's connected to the electric to start it, amazing :(

Last edited:
Heard a bit of clattering on the roof last night but it was to dark to see exactly what had happened.
Took a look this morning to find a load of ridges had been taken off.

Attachments

• IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0022.jpg
    IMAG0022.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts