Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Final year project, free build

Discussion in 'General Board' started by killaclown, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killaclown United Kingdom

killaclown Active Member

Hi guys n girls,

Last year I went back to uni to do a degree in web development, after years of "playing around". A hobbyist turn professional, I hope! : )

But before all that, long story short, I need to do a build for my final year. I am planning on doing this in the summer.

The thing is I can’t just build my own site, I need a CLIENT.

I am offering to build a fully dynamic database driven for free. I need to get a nod from my lecturer before I can do the build, so no adult / dodgy stuff. This will probably be good for someone who’s got an idea and wants a prototype / test site building and running for a few months or year before they get a “pro” in. You may not even want the finished site in that case just bin it. Its risk free.

There are some caveats,
    • I must be able to write a report / dissertation about the build
    • You must be able to speak to me via skype / email / phone etc. To get client requirements / feedback and such.
    • I will be able to show , link to the site via my portfolio site
    • A “created by” link can placed on the built website
    • The built site is not hosted by me
    • You buy / the domain
    • You provide content

There may be more but I not too sure yet. I am doing this in good faith and hope that whoever excepts / chosen also enters in this arrangement in good faith. Meaning that no one will try to sue me if something goes wrong down the line. Although every effort will be made to complete the site to extremely high standard. ( as my degree is dependent on it!! )
    Just pm me if you’re interested and what you want building, domain name, if you have an idea how big or complex the build will ( I’ve allowed 8 weeks for the build included all planning /modelling , probably doing 20-30 hours a week.) so the site needs to “DOABLE” in that time frame.
    I only need to decide in ten days, so just pm me before then.

I hope i’ve included everything, if not please bare with me.

Find out more information about me @ www.keeker.co.uk

many thanks

baz

• Like Like x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. afx Thailand

afx Active Member

Hi,

I am interested in your offer. I have numerous domains in various niches and a number of ideas for these domains.

For the purposes of SEO I would like the option of not having a "created by link". This is purely for SEO reasons, I'm not wishing to pass off someone else work as my own. I'd be more than happy to give you a link from links page from my company site or the links page on finished site, or maybe use an image. Perhaps if I'm very happy with the site and it turns out to be more than just a prototype I can make you an agreed payment to remove this link (your lecturer need not know).

As you suggest in your thread I can provide:

domain
    hosting
    content
    be contactable

If interested PM me back and I'll email you the domain and brief.

Regards,

Steve

4. jimm United Kingdom

jimm Active Member

Are you after a project to just build a site with a standard CMS style function or something a bit different and a bit more interesting?

5. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Your caveat amazes me.

Baz is offering you eight weeks of his time and skills free of charge. That is an incredible offer. The least of your worries should be a "created by" link.

Sorry, but if the success of your website and your SEO stands or falls on such a link, then you need to learn more about SEO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. killaclown United Kingdom

killaclown Active Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the pms and messages.

Like I say I have ten days before I really need to decide. I'm planning on speaking to some of the people who contacted me so i can ask a few more questions.

yeah jimm,
    sounds really good. As long as it is dynamic and database driven.

many thanks

baz

7. brum

brum Active Member

where do you live ?

i'm in birmingham if you live closeby then we have lots of projects you could get involved with

ta

8. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

gobsmacked lol, 8 weeks of development and you wouldn't leave a single link on it lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

I've got LoveTest.co.uk and LoveTester.co.uk either which could make a good project for building some sort of web dev that allows users to test there love or potential for love.

Really would be an open idea on it, drop me an email if it may be of interest to you.

10. Frog

Frog Active Member

Baz - given that whether you pass your degree or not is probably riding on this, why not come up with a project yourself? Then choose a person to act as the "client" and just create everything how you want it, not how a client wants it.

You'll save yourself a load of hassle, have the project laid out exactly as you want it, and you're far more likely to pass...

I could see why you'd want the client if you were actually going to charge them, but since you're not why not just do it yourself? Not like you're going to lose any money as you weren't charging anyway.

afx - did you read that post back to yourself before you hit submit? If so, did what you were asking not make you embarrassed, even a little?

• Like Like x 1
  11. killaclown United Kingdom

killaclown Active Member

Hi All,
    Thanks for the pms people, I am planning on contact some people (via pm) later today, to ask a few more questions .

I live in Wigan if you are interested BRUM.
    --------------------
    Hi FROG, thanks for the advise. I know what you mean about me passing my degree it's really important to me, I have already thought about going down that route.

I however have opted to go for a real client for numerous reasons, I’ll tell you them because it’s a good point and it’s that sort of thing I would probably ask and others may want to know too.

1. I have been a member here for a while, so I thought finding a client here would be a little easier than me knocking on doors to companies around Wigan.
    2. Having a real client would drive me to be professional throughout, keep my targets real ( and keep to them ) and also give myself a real deadline.
    3. The opportunity to develop real networking / business relationships with some of the domainers / developers here was too great to pass up.
    4. The chance to develop a nice looking, high traffic / used domain and have a link in my portfolio and from the finished site to mine would mean a great deal to me (also maybe future employers.)

I don’t own any domains that could match the “coolness” of any of the great domain that the users here own. None of my domains attracted users in great numbers, so the site wouldn’t be used.
    5. I am not really comfortable lying which make me rubbish at it, even if it’s only “pretending” I’ve got a client. For me it would make it the worst sort of lie, selfish self gain.
    6. In the future I will have to work with clients so, the experience and also myself “stepping up” to the challenge now would give me a lot confidence for the future.
    7. My lecturer isn’t dumb, he’s been in the REAL game for years before lecturing so a quick whois check may give the game away.

Thanks for the questions, offers and advise.

You can still pm me if you’re interested, although I am trying to gather more information from the people who have already pmd me, before sitting down with my lecturer next week and deciding.

Many thanks

baz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.