Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

fitfeet / org / uk

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by lancsman, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancsman

lancsman Member

I hold the registration for ' fitfeet / org / uk '

It was first registered in 2009, but has no development, and is currently 'parked' - since last month.

Was part of a few ideas some time ago, but never got beyond the acquisition stage.

Thoughts on value / potential please ????

Basically I am looking to off-load a few names to free some cash for re-investment in new domains

Appreciate any responses

Thanks

John

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Where did you see the potential when you regged it?

Rgds

4. lancsman

lancsman Member

The original idea related to the then 'new' fitness footwear trend, and in particular the introduction of the new ladies shoe type branded by 'fitflop', and others similar

At the time an ex colleague and I were trying to come up with a few niche site possibilities to develop.

For a number of reasons that did not progress, and this was one of the domain names I was left with....and now seeking to move on.

John

5. accelerator United Kingdom

I was wondering whether you might have been going for the foot fetish angle ...

I see that the owner of the .co.uk has a UK trademark on the term. I have not thought out fully whether or not it can be done safely ... but somehow (care!) offering it to them for brand protection purposes might be your best exit.

Good luck

6. OwnThisDomain.co.uk United Kingdom

OwnThisDomain.co.uk Active Member

Hi John,

I think trying to sell footwear and brandable stuff on an org.uk with "fit feet", such a weak exact search term, is not going to be something that will work all that well.

However, looking around the web, it seems that there are quite a few sites using these terms with very similar domains to yours.

You may be able to sell it on to a chiropody or podiatry clinic but that could take a while.

Although not much better with exacts, you may be better off with healthyfeet/org.uk which, at the moment, is free to register.

Perhaps a donation to admin if you, or anyone else, take it.

Best wishes, Richard

7. lancsman

lancsman Member

Many thanks for the last two replies.

Thanks Richard for digging out an alternative - but I am not really looking to develop anything in this area. I was just looking to turn the name over, and use any income to re-invest.

Accelerator, the idea to offer it to the .co.uk owner was in my mind, but not sure how best to handle this - as a newbie.

Anybody had experience of this situation, and could offer some advice ????

Would be much appreciated.

John

8. accelerator United Kingdom

I'm not sure either, it's potentially dangerous and needs to be handled very carefully as by offering it you could be accused of bad faith.

Rgds

9. OwnThisDomain.co.uk United Kingdom

They don't seem to be too bothered with "brand protection"......at least, at the moment.

The first result on Google for "fit feet" is for ukfitfeet/co.uk - who trade throughout their website as "FIT-FEET".

There's also a surgical chiropodist running a site from fit-feet/co.uk.

I would imagine that these enterprises, operating in the same class sectors, would bring far more confusion to whatever brand the trademark holder may be trying to create than your currently parked org.uk domain, John. And far more frustration - as fitfeet/co.uk itself is currently only result no.4 on the first page of Google search results.

I think the number of people trading in the same industry using that term on confusingly similar domains shows that you didn't register the domain in bad faith as the term seems to have at least a limited generic appeal in that industry.

I think you can more clearly demonstrate you were not acting in bad faith by pointing out that you registered the domain around 7 months before the trademark file date at IPO.

accelerator is right, though - they have a trademark / you don't, so the situation does need to be handled with some care.

10. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Can’t see it has any value…

11. lancsman

lancsman Member

Thanks for the responses folks, much appreciated.

'Ownthisdomain' - thanks for the additional info re trademark registration.
    Could I ask where you were able to find that, it could be useful in the future.

I think I will drop them an e-mail, at a general level to test the reaction, and see whether they show any interest. I will also point out that I am not seeking to compete against them, and that the domain name has not been offered elsewhere - at this stage.

Hopefully the friendly approach will be seen as neutral.

I do not think I have too much to loose by this approach.
    I will update this thread if things progress

Thanks again for the responses

John

12. OwnThisDomain.co.uk United Kingdom

13. lancsman

lancsman Member

Richard, Thanks for the link.

I have added to my little list of useful links.

Cheers

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.