Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'General Board' started by newguy, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

I went a bit crazy on the Quality Street at Christmas, and haven't exactly been a health freak since either. I used to do a bit of running and am planning on getting back into that. Does anyone else here have any fitness related plans for the year?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. alex

alex Active Member

Once Uni is finished I'll be cycling Rutland Water twice a week for the summer. Managed an average of every 6 days 2 years ago, but my brother beat all my records so this time it's personal! Need to beat his lap time of 1h9m, mine was previously 10 mins slower. He also managed 100km, so I'll up that to 100 miles. Well that's the plan anyway.

4. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

I am currently creating a website about treadmills so I am now some sort of guru about all things running :p

The best way to loose weight / get fit fast is by doing the same training programmes that the army / marines do before they join. they are designed for unfit people and are designed to boost your fitness to a high enough level to start army / marines training.

here they are, enjoy ;)

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20265.aspx
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalmarines/training-fitness/get-fit-to-apply/index.htm

get moooving soldier :D

WigWam

5. expertc

expertc Well-Known Member

I am thinking about getting back to martial arts. Good friend of mine runs a dojo and tries to get me in :) I'll see how it goes...

6. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Good luck mate, wish I could join you, really miss martial arts :(

7. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Cycling, running, martial arts - sounds like there's hope for us yet!!

Alex - I used to have a running rivalry with my brother. We had some epic races (well as epic for two semi unfit people, huffing and puffinf their way through a 3 mile run can get). It's quite good to have something to compete against.

WigWam - Thanks for the links. I have the navy seal fitness guide around here somewhere. Those guys really do get in good shape. I could've done with a treadmill myself when it was icy near the tail end of last year. That's what made me take a break really.

Expertc - Good luck with that. A friend is into martial arts. I didn't realise how much dedication it involved until he was telling me about it.

8. expertc

expertc Well-Known Member

Cheers, guys.

More than 7 years of hard training (old school style training!)... Have 3rd dan :oops:

Then 20 years break :( Not an easy decision to make and go "back to school"

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  9. alex

alex Active Member

It's certainly an incentive, just a shame he has always been much fitter than me :(

10. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

simple Alex get the boat across Rutland Water.....bit of lateral thinking mate ;)

11. Sussexite

Sussexite Active Member

Been trying to do some running, but keep tearing a muscle in my calf and have to rest up for a while. :x

As I've been working on setting up my marathon running website, it kind of adds insult to injury being reminded of it all the time. :-(

In the words of The Fall, looks like I'll have to eat myself fitter.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  12. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

What is the address of your marathon web site?

13. Sussexite

Sussexite Active Member

marathons.org.uk

14. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

I'm getting fit for travelling, i used to be in pretty good shape but let it go abit. So now i'm going to gym about 5 times a week, playing a 90 min 11 aside game twice a week, and then a 40 minute 6 aside game and then another hour of 6 aside per week.
    I'm also doing weights at home, and also watching what I eat, eating lots chicken, tuna etc. I planned on cutting drinking out but that hasnt and realistically wont happen.

Its been about 4 weeks since I started and forgot what a difference being in shape and feeling good about yourself does to how you feel daily :)

15. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

16. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Marathons has some good advice and will be good to watch it grow.

Should start your own group for it on runkeeper.

And max99 om goodness that's a training schedule Daley Thompson would be proud of.

17. Sussexite

Sussexite Active Member

Thanks for the encouraging words and useful tip.

18. KarlM United Kingdom

KarlM Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about the Booze,

I can stick to a healthy diet and exercise but find it hard to not have a drink at the weekend :)

19. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

thing is drinking is fine if in moderation ... my problem is it isn't in moderation lol. I'm not drinking at home, will go to pub/bar for a couple, then maybe one big night a week or so. Think thats a fair balance.

I used to use runkeeper, its a great app! recommend it to anyone running/cycling

20. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your injury :(. I get little niggles every now and again, but once I train more often they seem to go away.

Sounds like you're making good progress. Playing football will soon get you fit. I find that the more I exercise, the better my diet becomes. When I don't do any exercise, it goes off the tracks a bit. Crisps, biscuits, cakes *homer simpson drool*.

21. HariSeldon United Kingdom

HariSeldon Active Member

When it's warm and dry outside I'll happily do a 20 mile mountain bike trip three times a week but one of the best things I ever did was buy a treadmill a few years back - means I've got no excuse for a workout regardless of the weather.

Having said that it still took a while after Christmas to get back into a routine and like others while I'll happily watch what I eat, cutting back on the booze is a step too far - life is for living after all! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.