Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

fly.co.uk

Discussion in 'General Board' started by retired_member11, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjs_essex United Kingdom

rjs_essex Well-Known Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

Perhaps the guy that has london .uk did the design. :mrgreen:

• Like Like x 2
  4. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

design

We know one of guys just knocked it up:).........this a straw man so we see what breaks at the backend...and iron out issues. Each search that happens also puts load on our supplier so we wnat to see what they say

From our experience every time we have made a site pretty our conversion drop away...ist strange but anyone who does any split testing sees the same...pretty just dont convert

Look at these:

www.carrentals.co.uk our proper site

www.comparecarrentals.co.uk our tester

compare converts unelieveanly better than carrentals

Talking about design anyone seen these guys shit design:)

www.google.com

Doug

5. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

Id imagine that compare converts better because its clearly the better looking site?

6. mojoco United Kingdom

mojoco Well-Known Member

Doug,

Is RyanAir one of your partners.

I tried a search for a couple of RyanAir flights that I know are available and got zero results.

The page returned to my search criteria without saying anything

eg: "sorry no flights available"

I guess that's on your to do list.

7. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

Neither site looks great but the compare is less cluttered, and the search box is more user friendly, IMO there is no reason to have the site so narrow and cluttered when the content is a minimal.

As far as fly.co.uk is concerned i agree with the others, the design is basic looking and the name deserves more, again when the content is so minimal its not difficult to make it look good, even putting a bit of padding between the title text and the edge of the screen would help, and whats the point of being able to scroll down when there is nothing there? set a maximum height in the CSS! basic design done badly in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  8. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Yes i have a scroll bar along the bottom on a 1024 x 768 screen and a page length thats not required but I'm guessing the frame for results is that long, some frames that are plugged have the length to accomodate the future results to be displayed after search.

I'm not sure it needs a slogan but on my screen size it goes off the screen. Nice site, great results. I may use it in future, the two I use are skyscanner and kayak. kayak did great when I was stuck in russia, found me a flight, lot from moscow to poland and poland to bucharest for £150, couldnt beat it, it was a last minute flight as well, searched and booked at the airport.

Talking to some romanians on the plane, they paid £300 odd quid just to go from bucharest, warsaw return. Nice plane though, three seats across, very nice. One joked in romanian "air force president busaescu" I laughed (not correct spelling)

9. badger United Kingdom

badger Active Member

Hey Doug.... [Oh, that reminds me, I need to send you an email]

The sites a bit buggy which is to be expected and although "Fly" is such a killer name you need more USP's than a simple flight search... (taking on board your comments on conversion)

We played about with some custom grabber scripts on a now abandoned project which queried and grabbed (in real time) holidays based on a set of pre defined assumptions.. Something like that would work cool for a flights site..

Heres an example of what we were doing - www.airport.sc
    and heres the grabber we built in action http://doncaster.airport.sc/

If you made your assumptions based on the visitor IP, query their nearest airport, all the airlines that fly from there and then grab all the stats linking to them with your referral affiliate code, that might be a nice feature..

In any respect if you need any help, feel free to give me a shout.

Ian (email en route)

10. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

cheers

ignore the design that will come...we test and test for conversion so not bethered about that...it will get the strap line, design etc etc that works best

agreed it has to have something unique....thats being built seperately

but the major thing on anything like this is traffic......there are tons of clever sites that no one knows about.....but basically we are now focussing on copying every idea we can find and adding anything else

Ian...love the ip sniffing idea, we do it country wise on things, but never thought about doing it locally....obvious but great....thats one I had not thought of......any more guys????

Doug

11. badger United Kingdom

badger Active Member

Taking inspiration from, surely ;)

12. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

inspiration

Yes if thats what you call it Ian. Copy it and make it better, then add in more things

My main focus though really is getting traffic, bad designs, ideas etc can be overcome with marketing:)

Doug

13. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

getting better

www.fly.co.uk

Design is still rubbish, but we now have most of the major suppliers in....

Following are now included

Lastminute
    Ebookers
    Opodo
    Travelbag
    Travelocity
    Flight.co.uk

Airlines and small charters are coming

Doug

Doug

Doug

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  14. denchomsky United Kingdom

Maybe, but it would be easier to market if it looked good? seems a bit silly to make something look bad then try to make up for it by throwing marketing money at it, a bit counter productive IMO.

15. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

I would land on that page and wouldn't bother even attempting a search because it looks like something someone knocked up in their bedroom.

Lets get some design here!

16. retired_member3

retired_member3 Retired Member

ditto. you'd think you were booking with easyjet. :D

17. rob

rob Founding Member

Interesting look, however I am reminded of doing some affiliate sites back in t'day where simple basic 'design' worked very well. I am talking black and white basic pages with big red 'buy' buttons ;)

One thing I would say is the fly site lacks a footer which would frame the page better as currently it looks half loaded.

18. denchomsky United Kingdom

Please just for me put some padding/margin between the text in the header and the the right hand side of the screen!.....please!

19. mat

mat Well-Known Member

I really cant understand what the fuss is about when the changes to the top design could be sorted in under 15 mins by a 10 year old

Why not just do it?? The amount of time it will take weighed up with the better first impressions people will get makes it worth it.

Personaly I really do think the image on the left, the font and the page padding lets the site down straight away, completed or not.

Everyone in this thread cant be wrong...

20. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

I love you lot

Yes the design needs to work as I keep saying...its the functionallity and seeing if it can be broke thats my concern.

We have not done any marketing yet, you lot are some of the guinea pigs:) So you can influence us creating a brand:) Amazon did this so we thought we would copy them......

doug

21. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

more added

Lastminute
    Ebookers
    Opodo
    Travelbag
    Travelocity
    Flight.co.uk

airfarebasement
    airline network
    BA

interesting fact is that we are seeing the same flight from the same supplier, with them listing 2 or 3 different prices.

As an example do a search on www.fly.co.uk and when you see 2 other suppliers but thye are the same and the price is the same. Clcik out to the supplier, eg opodo or ebookers, then go looking for flight numbers and you will see the same flight listed several times......interesting. So suppliers are multi listing the same flights with different prices.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.