Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Follow up to - "The UK ROR 'WHO GOT WHAT?' thread"

Reaction score
I was going to reply to the The UK ROR 'WHO GOT WHAT?' thread in an attempt to rouse the same kind've buzz that was about when the big drops happened at the end of the Right of Registration period for .UK domains, but then I realised how old it is already. Time flies.

I was just wondering what the result was for fellow Acorn users... who had success or not with selling their .UK catches, whether you're still holding on to the names you got (or decided to drop them in their droves) and if you've managed to sell a few for big dosh!? Are you still collecting .UK names or avoiding them like the plague and preferring .CO.UK still.

I personally am still holding onto all of the names that I caught, I haven't dropped a single one. I've sold one for low £x,xxx and another 3 for low-mid £xxx, ones that I thought would probably be worthless to be honest with you. Pretty good going considering I only caught about 40 names, I suppose.

The original thread contained a lot of arguments about why .UK would fail. It seems that most people couldn't give a damn about .UK names, only .CO.UK. Not sure if the tide is turning on that, or will ever turn. I think it was a bad decision to split .CO.UK and .UK names up at all. They should have kept them together and then people might have chosen to switch. As it is now it's a state.

Would like to know what your experience has been with .UK and thoughts welcomed about them in general, too.

Last edited:
popcorn.gif

(Sorry to lower the tone but I couldn't resist.)

I was going to reply to the The UK ROR 'WHO GOT WHAT?' thread in an attempt to rouse the same kind've buzz that was about when the big drops happened at the end of the Right of Registration period for .UK domains, but then I realised how old it is already. Time flies.

I was just wondering what the result was for fellow Acorn users... who had success or not with selling their .UK catches, whether you're still holding on to the names you got (or decided to drop them in their droves) and if you've managed to sell a few for big dosh!? Are you still collecting .UK names or avoiding them like the plague and preferring .CO.UK still.

I personally am still holding onto all of the names that I caught, I haven't dropped a single one. I've sold one for low £x,xxx and another 3 for low-mid £xxx, ones that I thought would probably be worthless to be honest with you. Pretty good going considering I only caught about 40 names, I suppose.

The original thread contained a lot of arguments about why .UK would fail. It seems that most people couldn't give a damn about .UK names, only .CO.UK. Not sure if the tide is turning on that, or will ever turn. I think it was a bad decision to split .CO.UK and .UK names up at all. They should have kept them together and then people might have chosen to switch. As it is now it's a state.

Would like to know what your experience has been with .UK and thoughts welcomed about them in general, too.

I know of three six-figure .uk sales, my personal highest sale is mid five-figures and I've had many three and four-figure sales, I've also spent around £25k buying .uk over the last 18 months. Most domainers still tell you how poor sales of .uk are but that's often followed by a low offer to buy your name. By contrast, when you try and buy from them, they aren't selling because they're hoping things will turn around :D

I know of three six-figure .uk sales, my personal highest sale is mid five-figures and I've had many three and four-figure sales, I've also spent around £25k buying .uk over the last 18 months. Most domainers still tell you how poor sales of .uk are but that's often followed by a low offer to buy your name. By contrast, when you try and buy from them, they aren't selling because they're hoping things will turn around :D
Cunning... I like it. :D Thanks for sharing your sales info!

I think I feel the exact same way to be honest, I think the tide may well eventually turn when we're not expecting it to. I see a lot of people talking about how sh1t .UK is, but they have holdings that are LLL.uk which are OK but not quite a good 1 word .UK which I think is more likely to garner a decent selling price.

Did anybody watch the last Apprentice episode?

One of Alan Sugar’s men was talking about domain names and sort of spoke lowly of .uk domains

I didn’t find it funny tbh

He got her the .com, the .net, .co.uk, and then said he got the .uk for “safe measure”

Subjective, but to me it’s speaking lowly of it…

He got her the .com, the .net, .co.uk, and then said he got the .uk for “safe measure”

Subjective, but to me it’s speaking lowly of it…
That would just be talking it up to be honest, but...

He actually said "...and just to really protect my investment [sh1t name made up by the child contestant] .UK". It's more of a positive than a negative imho.

Anyway I liked how he didn't know the lingo at all. He was probably speaking to the moronic BBC audience to be fair though.

A television programme that has woke, vapid and meaningless team names and only women can get to the final.

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom