Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

forum script

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by pendragon, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendragon United Kingdom

pendragon Well-Known Member

Where can I get a forum script that allows me to add my own adsense and affiliates (not for a domainers forum ;) )

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Use any of them, you just go into the files, like header etc and enter your code and play with tables, it's easy enough.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Try PHPBB it is easy to play with, free and has lots of mods etc, plus you can upgrade it to VB later if you get serious (like I did here with everyone's help).

Speak to paullas too, he is a whizz at forums and helped me a lot in the early days...

5. dhscott

dhscott Active Member

I would avoid phpBB, it has troubles with spam. However, to be honest, any popular forum receives spam; its just that with phpBB, its usually of the automated kind.

6. Admin

Any forum needs constant moderation :)

Even in PHPBB you can set it so that you have to authorise new members before they can post, but this gets tedious.

I have a cool tool for deleting all posts for a specific user(s) from PHPBB

7. stevebrowne United Kingdom

stevebrowne Active Member

if you can code, I would also suggest creating an admin page that just shows every message in reverse order (paged and filtered etc.), so that you get to see every message. It's a lot easier than browsing forums looking for bad things.

8. Admin

Most forums software has this, including Vbulletin:
    http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/search.php?do=getnew

9. stevebrowne United Kingdom

stevebrowne Active Member

Can you do admin functions on them in that view, or do you have to go into each message? The pages I use allow filtering by date range, substring for subject and body, ip address, cookie id and message status (visible, hidden etc.)

From each line I can then click to remove/hide, or click through to an edit page and just click update to update everything in one go.

Doesn't stop the spammers trying, mind you :-(

10. GWing

GWing Retired Member

just to let you know guys

phpbb has a very simple fix for spam, my site www.prmc.co.uk was getting around 15 new users day and we'd only just started it., (only posting the link so you can see it on the reg page, if you want me to take it off just say the word. I hate spammers more than anyone)

There is a very simple mod to prevent it, I haven't had one more spambot to this date after nearly a month.

Some instructions on phpbb, I've you want it pm me and I'll get you the link. Basically on the registration page it asks a simple question (you make your own up)

like "what word would you get if you put the letter C in front of ODE"

it keeps 100% of the spammers out, it's called "VIP Code"

apart from that phpbb is bang on, it genuinely puts a full stop to it. 5 mins to install it and that was for me, a complete amateur with coding.

Obviously won't stop the manual spammers but will stop spambots which do around 99% of phpbb spamming.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  11. gazraa

gazraa Member

SMF - Simple Machines Forum is my choice. Very easy to add adsense to, and all free too.

I have the occassional spammer but either me or my team of moderators catch them pretty quick.

12. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

I've got a vbulletin website ( www.vwdforum.com ) which has a nice template and is pretty easy to run.. Best forum software I've used.

13. Smir

Smir Member

SMF if your a cheap-o

vBulletin if your looking to actually make something of your forums :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.