Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Free High Quality Stock Photos for your Site

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by alex, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex

alex Active Member

I’m doing some work with Image Source, one of the world’s largest B2B stock photography companies. They’re running a promotion whereby they’re allowing small site/blog owners free access to their RF photography collection (approximately 700,000 images). All they want in return is a link back crediting their images.

If you’re interested feel free to apply. I’m part of the team reviewing applicants so if I see any familiar names I’ll put a good word in. :p

Apply for free stock images: http://www.imagesource.com/free-images-offer

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

Thanks! look out for the fish :)

4. VSC

VSC Active Member

Just signed up as well !

5. redbird United Kingdom

redbird Well-Known Member

Was about to sign up (for future use), but if I understand T&C's correctly you need a separate sign up for each domain.

6. alex

alex Active Member

We've had quite a lot of interest so apologies for the delays in responding. I've gone through the list and fast tracked obvious AD members so you should all have received your account info. PM me if you have applied and not received, and to those whom I have responded please email me if you have any issues.

I will double check on this one for you. I believe the way it's set up assumes applicants only have one site. Since this is not the case I’ll see what I can do for you. This is intended to build links and relationships with small businesses and small site owners so I can’t see any problems with using them on multiple sites assuming a credit link is added. I think the issue here is ensuring Image Source know which sites are using their images so they can ensure appropriate use.

EDIT: Have sent a PM with info

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  7. alex

alex Active Member

How could I miss you! :D

8. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

Is this allowed? I remember that some big companies were fined over having people backlinking to them in return for products/services?

If not... I can provide you with content on any given topic in return for 1 backlink.....

9. alex

alex Active Member

On what grounds were they fined? As far as I'm aware there's nothing wrong with this. Image Source actually own the rights to these images, having produced them or bought exclusive rights. That's why they supply people like Getty and Fotolia. I can understand if they didn't have the rights to the images.

If anyone has any reasons/examples why this isn't allowed please let me know, but to my knowledge credit links are commonly required for this type of content. The BBC for example credit Getty Images then provide external links.

EDIT: I guess the way I see it is similar to when companies build a site and link to themselves at the bottom of the page. In this case Image Source have produced the images and are offering them to small websites/blogs on the condition that their work is creditied.

I'll pass this on and get back to you if we're interested.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  10. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

Sorry, didn't mean fined, meant penalized.

But thinking about it... It makes perfect sense to ask a credit link when using a free stock photo so nevermind my previous post :)

11. alex

alex Active Member

We've had a few more people taking up the offer - still room for more.

I noticed a couple of accounts were reconfigured so that images were not free, this has now been fixed so if anyone can't download Image Source web-res RF images for free or an invoiced is raised then email me and I'll sort it for you.

12. scottsmith United States

scottsmith Active Member

Look out for one from Scott Smith :)

Thanks

13. vizzo United Kingdom

vizzo Active Member

I've signed up.

Look out for my acorn username in the website url!

Is this promotion likely to have an end date? ie will we get to a stage where either a) we have to pay to continue to use the images we're already using? or b) we have to start paying for future images?

I'm assuming as per previous posts that I can use them on any of my sites as long as a link is on that site.

Nick

14. alex

alex Active Member

I'm going through these this afternoon so expect an email soon. We are allowing use on multiple sites, but they've requested I get a list of every URL so what I'd need is an email listing all the sites that you'd intend to use so they can be vetted. So long as the sites are your own and non-commercial then there are unlikely to be any issues.

In terms of time I'm not too sure. They're seeing this as a long-term thing and are targeting people who would normally not be customers of the company so at this stage there’s no time limit. They may limit in terms of number of people, but in terms of time you’re safe for now. Also, these are just web-resolutions so you'd have to buy any of a higher quality, they’re not going to charge you for what you download now.

15. vizzo United Kingdom

vizzo Active Member

Surely that rules out most people on this forum?
    Most of our sites are "commercial" in that most of us are not here for a non-profit-making hobby!

16. alex

alex Active Member

We're making a special exception for Acorn members whereby you can use them on Affiliate/adsense/Geo sites. As a general rule Image Source are not allowing 'commercial sites' because this promotion is meant for bloggers. But because I told them we at Acorn are good people they said we can be an exception to the rule. I've confirmed this in the welcome emails (well the more recent ones).

What they're asking is that they're only used on your own sites so don't sell them on whether individually or use them to enhance a site you're just trying to sell, similarly don't use them on your clients' sites. There is obviously a level of trust here, but if it's a personal site that isn't making vast profits then chances are you're okay. This is a great opportunity to enhance your mini-sites etc.

I’ve emailed all applicants received so far. If you’ve not heard anything back let me know.

17. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

sumit

Hi Alex

Thanks. Just signed up. (SB, Anyname).

Stephen

18. RockRider United Kingdom

RockRider Active Member

Some great Images, me too.

Hi Alex

Some great images, Lookout for me as well

Thread Status: