Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Funny Pictures Site Review

Discussion in 'Website Reviews' started by newguy, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago I got my funny pictures site online . I decided to use a blog format as that seems to be a trend of late with this kind of site. In addition I added social tools, tags, and a search function so people have various ways of finding funny stuff that is of interest to them. Any thoughts?

http://funnypictures.co.uk/

(Feedback so far suggests that it doesn't look right in certain browsers. I'll look into that. It's fine in Chrome, the latest version of IE and in Firefox Beta I think.)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Unless there are some advantages I have missed, I'm not sure I would have based it on Tumblr with WordPress being so easy to set up and use. Are you planning to monetise it at all?

4. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

I have blogs on blogger and wordpress and am curious to see how this will fair. I think much of the seo disadvantage of tumblr comes down to people using other people's reblogged content. As I'm not oing to do that, I don't think I'll suffer a disadvantage. If it turns out that I do, I'll transfer it to wordpress, as there are a few tumblr to wordpress conversion tools out there.

If/when I get to 10,000 views a day I think it'd be possible to make CMP ads worthwhile (valueclick etc) or maybe google ads will suffice, not sure yet. It achieved around 1000 pageviews yesterday, which isn't bad considering I've only just started working on it.

5. mat

mat Well-Known Member

Layout is all over the place in firefox! Looks fine in internet explorer though.

6. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Yikes, I see what you mean. I'll look into that. I'd been using Firefox 4.0 Beta and it looks fine in that.

7. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

The Firefox issue is fixed now (I hope).

8. johnnyboy Moldova, Republic of

johnnyboy Active Member

I like the domain; has the potential to become a very popular site. Why don't you add categories so your visitors have a choice of what they want to look at, eg. 'Funny Videos', 'Funny Animals', 'Funny Vegetables?!?!'. And you could maybe have the option for visitors to submit funny pictures/videos and every month, you could select what you think is the funniest submission and highlight this on the homepage. This would maybe encourage submissions by other visitors, meaning you don't have to do all the legwork in finding content for the site.

9. dlone United Kingdom

dlone Active Member

Ah it was you that beat me to it! Nice domain, I'm sure with your track record it will be a hit once you've got it up and running.

10. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts all. I'll take everything into consideration :).

11. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

I was considering going for this one... but think may be quite hard to monetise, good luck with this, hopefully it will make you some money in the long term

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.