Domain Manage

game.co.uk update?

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by admin, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admin Spain

admin Administrator Staff Member

Anyone heard any update on game.co.uk?

The domain recently shows as "Renewal request being processed" and is still showing as registered to the same guy even though the domain redirects to the GAME PLC website.

Nominet site shows "Appeal process suspended under DRS Procedure 20.a"

which reads

"If legal proceedings relating to a Domain Name which is the subject of a complaint are issued in a court of competent jurisdiction before or during the course of proceedings under the Dispute Resolution Service and are brought to our attention, we will suspend the proceedings, pending the outcome of the legal proceedings".

So I guess lengthy legal proceedings are still underway?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

[snip]

I mixed this up with itunes.co.uk and hence have deleted my reply :(

4. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Game Group PLC are now the legal registrant of game.co.uk. The domain name was last updated 06-Feb-2006 so I presume the change of registrant occured then (although I could be wrong). Did the former registrant appeal the DRS via the three panel route, or did he go straight to court? Alternatively did the former registrant appeal the DRS via the three panel route and did Game Group PLC decide to go to court at that point? I cannot remember the chain of events - i.e. whether notice of a DRS appeal was ever received - but I am presuming the previous registrant has given up his claim over the domain name.

5. James United Kingdom

James Active Member

I'm always stunned that Game UK PLC could ever be so arrogant, ignorant and vindictive regarding this domain. They deserve to go out of business in my honest opinion, and I hope they do.

6. domaingenius

domaingenius Well-Known Member

I would guess that Game Plc did a confidential deal and bought the name or else this would certainly have ended up in Court as I could not comprehend someone letting them win such a good name. Were Court proceedings ever started ?.

DG

7. melitaweb

melitaweb Member

Another example of DRS failings

8. invincible

If the domain name was so important to the original registrant, and it appears it was, why didn't he stump up the £3,000 for the DRS appeal? If he took legal advice, which one would assume he did (let's face it, he'd have been daft not to have taken some with that domain name), and he then opted to go to court instead of to the DRS appeal, why have Game Group PLC now obtained the domain name? Did he loose in court, or run out of money, or get advised that he didn't have a case, or get a pay off, or something else? I'd be surprised if Game Group PLC offered him anything, particularly after obtaining a decision in their favour.

9. EdPhillips

EdPhillips Active Member

The note on the website told you that an appeal was in progress, but that court action interrupted this. That note has now been removed, and the case is not marked as being under appeal, which tells you that the court action is over (at least as relates to the domain) and there has been some sort of resolution which does not require the DRS to continue. The WHOIS tells you who has the domain. Beyond that, I can't help.

The case is therefore closed.

10. James United Kingdom

James Active Member

But why on Earth was the outcome of the original DRS in Game UK PLC's favour? It's so unfair it beggars belief. No amount of justification can change the fact that Nominet have quite possibly ruined an individual, just so a corporation feels more secure about it's branding. I hate Game UK PLC even more than Nominet, but both display comparably bizarre levels of ignorance.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  11. EdPhillips

EdPhillips Active Member

The expert set out his reasoning in great detail in his decision -
    http://www.nominet.org.uk/disputes/drs/decisions/?contentId=2169

Nominet does not tell the experts what to think - they really are independent - so essentially you have the same information that I have.

12. sneezycheese

sneezycheese Active Member

…'in my opinion' this is not entirely true.

For the experts to be truly 'independent' and free to make a decision, they would be making their 'judgement' based on UK law, rather that Nominet’s rather weak and somewhat dubious 'Policy'.

13. James United Kingdom

James Active Member

Ed, I can only assume that the independent expert :rolleyes: was either DRUNK, or receiving backhanders from Game UK PLC. Noone but *noone* of a sane mind thinks this particular DRS outcome is fair. In fact, it's something of a joke amongst many in the domain industry. It's reached legendary status.

14. James United Kingdom

James Active Member

The DRS case summary includes such gems as:

:shock:

I mean, is this supposed to be supporting evidence for F*** sake!? Who the heck came up with this? It sounds like it was written by a vegetable, or someone with an IQ of around 20 (max)

15. taggholder

taggholder New Member

Don't blame the Nominet Experts regarding DRS decisions they are merely the executioners of Nominet's controversial DRS dispute policy.

Can anyone remember any formal consultation before the introduction of the Nominet DRS?

Can anyone locate a link to the Nominet webpage with a public comment forum before Nominet DRS was introduced?

Anyone know who at Nominet was responsible for the DRS policy?

16. invincible

The problem is Nominet don't appear to archive things on their site, rather they appear to remove them completely. There was a DRS Consultation getting on for two years ago where mostly IP lawyers submitted comments. The Policy was changed as a result of this consultation. As to the original DRS consultation, I am sure it's filed away somewhere at Nominet HQ.

17. texidriver

texidriver Active Member

http://www.nominet.org.uk/digitalAssets/2983_IssuesLogDec.pdf
    http://dnc.org.nz/content/drp_sub_1_nominet_uk.txt
    http://www.nominetnews.org.uk/oldSe...hp?PHPSESSID=d49b0ddf5570e8fbd87cbdacc1ec9719
    http://www.dundas-wilson.com/news/bulletins/ipit/IPIT_TechTalk_0504.pdf
    http://www.alex.org.uk/nominet/waitlistconsultation.pdf
    this last one is a cracker for dropcatchers!

18. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

Sorry but this bit is underhand. You may well have strongly held views about the fairness of the DRS but that does not mean it is reasonable to try to create unfounded rumours about it.

The most recent DRS consultation was some time ago, the details of which are here

http://www.nominet.org.uk/policy/consultations/drs/

There were many responses received and until recently these were published on our site, however we recently removed them as a tidying up exercise.

The original implementation of the DRS was also extensively consulted upon and those responses were also displayed for quite some time. One of the original consultation documents is here

http://www.nominet.org.uk/digitalAssets/2782_Draft_Dispute_Resolution_Service_Policy_June_01.pdf

19. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

You're right we do remove things after a very long period of time. However we do have it all still and can normally supply it if you ask for it. If there is enough interest then we might even put it back ! Let me know.

20. domaingenius

domaingenius Well-Known Member

Can you please just tell us what happened to game.co.uk ?. Did the original registrant appeal and win or lose his appeal /.Has he still got the name or has he done a deal to sell it ?.

Thanks
    DG

21. Jay Daley New Zealand

Jay Daley Active Member

Sorry I don't know. I think Ed has already given the official statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.