Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Gaming Google: SEO Case Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting mate, thanks.
Good on you for trying what many just complain about - and actually know very little about.
Jay

Thanks for sharing.

Proved what I think is pretty widely known though; you can game google still with bad links of course, just the time scale you can stay ranking is cut much much shorter.

I would advise if you ever do a test like this again you should point the links at a test page like domain.co.uk/test, that way when you want to get rid of the links pointing to you, you just need to delete that page

Widely known... but not widely documented for a real site.

I wanted to get away from any sort of test page/domain scenario and allow people who were intrigued by doing SEO like this to see the ins and outs.

I'm doing the link clean up over the next week or two, so will be interesting to see what happens and how easy it is to get rid of links like this.

Best

Agree, a subpage would have been more cautious - as would actually mixing up your anchors. Not sure what the test was trying to prove - whether crap links still work, or whether exact anchor text does.

If you are taking down the links its a bit late to change, but I would be surprised if you had the same result if you'd really varied the anchors - I think that's a pretty classic anchor text filter there, and you would probably still be ranking if you'd mixed it up more.

Thanks Namdas

Wasn't trying to be cautious, simply try to shed light on the subject for others by doing it for real

The idea now will be to remove the crap links, mix the anchor text back up and see if my pre-experiment rankings come back or whether it has done longer term damage

Doing it on a test URL which can just be deleted wouldn't give the desired results as many websites have already built links like this to their entire site, so undoing them, in reality, would not be that easy.

It's a live work in progress

Best

Interesting study, thanks for posting.

I have a site ranking on Page 1 on Bing and Yahoo but no-where to be seen on Google!

What can I do to help it's G rankings?

Thanks

Admin

Hi

Have you had any penalty notices from Google?

What about your anchor text for those particular terms, are you using a large amount of exact match anchor text when you build links?

I suppose there are numerous other questions such as the domain authority of the site, the on page content, how much adsense or affiliate code do you have on any one page.

What type of links have you built? All of these and lots more contribute to your rankings...

Feel free to drop me an email if you want me to take a closer (and confidential) look. Always happy to give my comments

Best

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom