Domain Manage

General value of "cheap flights to..." domains?

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by timter51, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timter51 United Kingdom

timter51 Active Member Exclusive Member

These domains always seem pop up on droplists, CheapFlightsToxxxxxx.co.uk. The exact searches (usually xxxx+) and CPC are always tempting, but I never go for them. Is there any value in these at all? There's one that could drop in the future that has 6,000 local exacts. Worth owning, or junk? I noticed CheapFlightsToLagos.co.uk sold for $1300 in 2011, but it looks like an anomoly.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. DaveLeeds United Kingdom

DaveLeeds Well-Known Member

It could be worth your time and trouble if you got onto a good affiliate program but I wouldn't expect any help from G.
    I hope the buyer of CheapFlightsToLagos.co.uk have had their monies worth because they're nowhere to be seen on G (the competition is great for these terms, with all the big names taking pride of place on p1-2).

I'm experimenting with one such domain - about 6 weeks ago it was on p2 - 4 weeks ago p7 and now it's lost in the Ethernet somewhere.

If you have the time and can be bothered with the effort for a marginal return then you could go link hunting too.

4. timter51 United Kingdom

timter51 Active Member Exclusive Member

Yeah that was my impression Dave, it's exactly the kind of EMD Google is trying it's hardest to slap down hard. There are about 50+ of these domains ready to drop, including high search ones such as cheapflightstobarcelona.co.uk, on Sept 3rd and 4th. It'll be interesting to see if this domainer lets them go...

5. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

I wouldn't touch these domains with a barge pole. I wouldn't take even take one for free if I had to develop it.

There is no money in this approach any more. Google wants to rank big brands for everything. Look at the search results for Lanazarote - http://www.google.co.uk/search?site...1.6.0....0...1c.1.26.hp..7.11.929.kAuLdcZgKcw

If you had cheapflightstoLanzarote.something you would need to spend so much money trying to appear to be a brand, that it would take you years and years to make the money back, never mind see any profit. Plus Google would likely burn you in the meantime anyway, leaving you with a loss.

imo buying very specific emd's with low search volume and zero chance to sell people alternative products, is a dead business model.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.