Domain Manage

geo domains and google local

Discussion in 'General Board' started by brum, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brum

brum Active Member

hi,

what do u guys and girls (if any lol ) think about the impact of google local will have on geo type domains eg

carhirebirmingham.co.uk

now that you have google local that would come up with a search like

car hire birmingham
    with a load of local car hire compaines based in birmingham. how do you think this will affect domains like this ?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Well-Known Member

Depends how many people use it but then why wouldn't you if you want local businesses, I know I would rather use it than the main Google search and find something like birminghamcarhire.co.uk, I would rather have a full list, thing is though Google will only list companies with sites won't they which means you would miss out on lots of companies that don't have a site.

4. rob

rob Founding Member

Google Places / Local is killing localised geo searches in my direct experience.

Top of natural rankings is being replaced by top of places as the er, place to be. More of an issue is lots of local searches are mobile based, so scrolling to 11th rank in G doesnt happen.

Couple of people are now adwords addicts due to the change, as traffic was off a cliff face.

5. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

We have run a number of national directories and have noticed for around the past year or so, Although we still list first on many "g" listings "g" local is pushing the listing lower down the page and see it will eventually affect the revenue (At least the amount of work needed for same revenue.. we tended to target national companies as it meant only having to produce a limited number of adverts then putting the same ones on many pages as opposed to lots of singular ones...? ) Although traffic at presant is the same, I suspect it is more sales companies using as a database to cold call customers. The plus side it has lead to more enquires for local sites… The down less interest from national companies.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.