Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Ghost Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I seem to have registered a domain that isn't available to reg, does this happen often? it was there available, free to register but I phoned Nominet and it's not true... :mad:

If it was today and was the result of you checking on a whois, then this is likely.

I have notices issues with lookups today and domains appearing to be free when they arent.....

I suppose the registrar isn't to blame and only Nominet? and even then I bet there's a clause... Nevermind, the fact it should be dropping this week doesn't make me feel better and I suppose the odds of me catching it the way I did would have been the longest possible but nevertheless still possible.

At least it was under my name for a while, just a pity nominet when telling me it was free, didn't update the details at the same time...

Last edited:
ledupthegardenpathandallaroundthehouses.co.uk (not really) ;)

I don't suppose if I forget about this until next week, that if it drops in the meantime it will miraculously appear with my details? No didn't think so. I've already paid for it so I will get a refund later on.

firestars said:
If it was today and was the result of you checking on a whois, then this is likely.

I have notices issues with lookups today and domains appearing to be free when they arent.....

Thought it was just me. Random checks on whois2 showing available one second, regged the next, then available etc...

peculiar.

the automaton has slowed down, i've not had any response for a bit tonight. Think all those drops today blew out something!! :cool:

two three letter domains are still showing as available for the last half hour.

tifosi said:
Thought it was just me. Random checks on whois2 showing available one second, regged the next, then available etc...

peculiar.

Result of WHOIS query:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No match for "jan.co.uk".

This domain name has not been registered.

WHOIS lookup made at 22:22:15 28-Dec-2005

--
This WHOIS information is provided for free by Nominet UK the central registry
for .uk domain names. This information and the .uk WHOIS are:

Copyright Nominet UK 1996 - 2005.

You may not access the .uk WHOIS or use any data from it except as permitted
by the terms of use available in full at http://www.nominet.org.uk/whois, which
includes restrictions on: (A) use of the data for advertising, or its
repackaging, recompilation, redistribution or reuse (B) obscuring, removing
or hiding any or all of this notice and (C) exceeding query rate or volume
limits. The data is provided on an 'as-is' basis and may lag behind the
register. Access may be withdrawn or restricted at any time.

How nice :)

was the same for:

ksr.co.uk
lhh.co.uk

earlier, now reggied by erm dunno, never heard of em!!

I once registered domain.co.uk successfully under the same circumstances.

The strange thing is, this event will probably see me get membership and DAC access as I'm far from pleased this has happened. But not before I've written a few letters to find out exactly who's fault it is. Not bitter, well yes probably I am, less so than a day ago, but the fact it did drop again some hours after is extremely annoying.

10.3 probably covers Nominet if it was their problem and yes I know software cannot always be 100%. But the objective of the letters/emails will be to resolve that matter as getting the domain back that I bought is highly unlikely.

Did you get an ACK for it / buy direct from Nominet?

I could 'sell' you sex.com for a tenner but wouldnt mean anything at all, I would take it up with the agent rather than nominet.

It's just a whois delay, so the registrars who use whois to check availability when a customer buys a domain can sell a domain that is already registered. They just refund your money

They had a do with domain.co.uk a while ago. It was available on the whois for about half a day, i hate to think how many .co.uk speculators had gone for that one then.

The response I got was that Nominet changed some of their systems and didn't inform them. That's life I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom