Domain Manage

Good VPS/dedicated?

Discussion in 'Hosting' started by murph, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murph

murph Well-Known Member

Looking for a new reliable VPS/dedicated for some sites. Can be US (UK is so expensive for BW why?!), but needs really good 24/7 support. Ideally some in-house server panel as I'm never going back to Plesk after their constant security holes!!

Looking for personal recommendations please?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. admin Spain

admin Administrator Staff Member

4. mdrussell United Kingdom

mdrussell Active Member Full Member

UK bandwidth costs are only ~20% more expensive than US bandwidth costs for us right now. Very little in it, and reflected in our pricing.

5. murph

murph Well-Known Member

That's interesting to know... Been led to believe it's still a lot more expensive in UK.

6. mdrussell United Kingdom

mdrussell Active Member Full Member

They used to be much higher, yep. But in the recent 1-2 years there's been very little in it.

Matt

7. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

UK bandwidth has been a practical option for a few years now, decent network trunks are now also available outside London making it feasible to host a datacenter outside the M25 and still provide a decent network connection thus bringing down costs from the high Docklands property costs.

I've just set-up a server with Matt's company, his team seem to be quite capable (we did have a set-up issue, but that was resolved completely with much less fuss than I've had with some other providers). I can't comment on the VPS as I've not used them, but don't see why they wouldn't be of similar quality.

Poundhost are also OK as a budget provider although support is not as good as it used to be a few years ago before they were bought.

cPanel is quite stable now, so you could go with that instead of Plesk, if you are more technically able and not looking to resell services, you can run a server / VPS quite OK using Webmin (which is free)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.