Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Google.com no longer redirecting to Google.co.uk?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by retired_member34, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member34

retired_member34 Retired Member

Is this just me, or are others seeing it? First noticed that the Firefox search was giving me results from google.com, not google.co.uk. If I type google.com in, then I can search from it - which I didn't think I have been able to do for a long time.

Anyone else? :confused:

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Mine resolves to the .co.uk

Darren.

4. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

I've always had my PC set up to allow searches from both .co.uk & .com (plus .de & .es as they all give different results) - but I've used computers that force the browser to .co.uk.

5. retired_member34

retired_member34 Retired Member

Must be just me....thanks.

I really only need UK searchs. Whilst dealing with one of the "top" SEO guys on a site in the states I found that his .com searchs and my .com searchs were dramatically different - something he didn't know at the time!

Out of interest, how do you set it?

6. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

Super simple - when you get forced to the Google.co.uk homepage just go to the bottom of the page and click on "Go to Google.com" - this sets a cookie that turns off the override.

You need to do this on every different browser that you use btw, and if you block cookies you'll need to do it every session.

When you've set the cookie, you can set up each country of Google you use as a drop down selection from the toolbar search by putting in the test search string.

7. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Opera for some reason doesn't even allow "UK Only Results" on the .com, usually it stayed on the .com but had global or uk only, but now nothing.

IE redirects to the .co.uk and gives both options but opera doesn't and firefox gives me the site in some eastern euro language heh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.