Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Google Plus

Discussion in 'SEO Search Engine Optimisation' started by chippyb, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chippyb United Kingdom

chippyb Active Member

I have read in places that having google plus's on your website can help in rankings, I have heard about 70 plus's can help boost rankings and traffic etc.

I am thinking of trying this out but obviously I will need to get people to plus it in the first place.

Has anyone tried or heard of this working, If I try this would anyone be willing to Google plus my page for me?

Ryan

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Django

Django Member

Hi ChippyB, just thought I'd answer based on my own experience and what I've seen elsewhere...this might not necessarily be true in your niche, or for your site…

Anyway, I have had a couple of sites where I have seen improvements that were seemingly based on +1s (although impossible to say this was definitely the reason) and the jump is usually 1-2 positions. This is often dictated by how many +1s competitors in your niche have as well – you said '70' in your example, but this number might differ depending on how active your competitors are on G+. This has also been evidenced by a couple of other webmasters I have spoken to who have said they have been able to improve 1-2 positions in the SERPs by getting more +1s.

I would be careful about gaming this though, as it's easy for Google to spot when a profile is being manipulated. You only get 30 visitors a day, then suddenly you get 300 +1s…it's likely to trip a filter in the algo. Same if you have only got, 70 Facebook fans, for example, then suddenly you get 500 +1s, it just looks unnatural and might do you more harm than good.

So yeah…if you are going to try and increase your +1s, just take care do it in a way that appears natural...or just get +1s naturally in the first place :)

Anyway, someone else on the forum might have had a completely different experience, but this is just what I have found! Hopefully it works for you anyway :)

4. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Really? I've seen no convincing evidence that +1s alter organic positions so directly.

Having your site appear higher for those who have liked you, and reaching the contacts of those who have +1'd your results are surely the only benefits (at the moment)?

5. Django

Django Member

Yeah, well like I said, this was what I had seen in a particular niche I was targeting, and other webmasters I had spoken to noticed the improvements when they boosted their +1s...correlation isn't causation and all that, but I still think it's worth doing, if not for rankings, for the reasons Blossom mentions.

6. marko777

marko777 Member

if it's a local niche google is shaking up the places listings.To leave a review you must be signed in so it effectively triggers G+.I'd create a G+ business page as well.
    It's true if you sign in +1 a site it will show at the top or near the top if you have +'d similar type businesses.It can also appear at the top even when signed out if you don't clear your cookies(easy to tell the link is purple if you haven't cleared your cookies).
    I'd be more interested in pinterest,twitter and facebook for social signals.

7. Aegean Greece

Aegean Active Member

Exactly, its all geared to work if you are logged in to your G account. Otherwise it makes no difference to your normal results.

8. roydovaston United Kingdom

roydovaston Active Member

We have Google +1 on one of our sites and it doesn't really look to attract to much attention. It's very rare for someone to be bothered to click it and login if they're not already. After all, what's in it for them!! I can understand why people facebook and tweet but with no direct result of pressing the button.....

9. marko777

marko777 Member

Social media is important but having a good facebook and twitter page with links to them from your site good enough to start with.
    The rest is niche dependent.
    Pinterest is the new big thing in social media,well worth joining.
    If your niche is low comp a decent social set up and some genuine twitter,facebook activity along with some real G+ likes will get you to the first page.Note I did say low comp.Naturally you'd have been building decent backlinks as well.

G+ is now part of places and they automatically adding + pages to listing who are seen as reputable (e.g you have good citations).You simply claim them.

10. Annife

Annife Member

Yes, g+ really helps you in seo (for google).

11. kate-brownhill United Kingdom

kate-brownhill Active Member

I did observe an increase in rank on a test site after paying someone on fiver for 1000 FB likes and G+. Medium competition, no other SEO has been done on the site for ages and it has been holding completely rock solid positions on page1 of Google. The site climbed but alas, a great big penguin killed it due to too little anchor variations (...well, actually, it had NO anchor variation :D) so i can't tell if it would have held those positions after the social signals returned to zero.

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.