Domain Manage

Google ready to crush quote comparison sites

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by scooter, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. JMOT

JMOT Well-Known Member

Biting the hand that feeds.... brilliant idea!

I wonder how many large brands it would take to block Googlebot and stop spending with Google to ruin the Google user experience and force searchers over to Bing??

Obviously that would require collusion on a grand scale and some major balls...

I wonder if Bing could subsidise enough companies lost revenues to stop working with Google.

4. thecat Netherlands

thecat Active Member

Google will destroy every online only market if they keep going. Amazon won't be able to touch them. Indeed I'm suprised Amazon haven't gone down this route really.

5. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

Well F me, I can't believe the way google are now operating their business. They have a foothold on the search market which means they control how the Internet flows. Bing would need to collaborate not just with big brands but searchers too. I think if bing were to offer some kind of cash back per search or someorher incentive to get people using them it would shift the power over time.

Google will eventually take over if things carry on, there'll be no markets left for the average online business.

6. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

Thinking about it, Bing could buddy up with Facebook by offering an in house search facility thereby bypassing the need to visit google. That should be enough to give google a kick in the nuts it obviously needs.

7. wb United Kingdom

wb Well-Known Member

Unless I have misunderstood that, Facebook already does show Bing's "web results" when you make a search. Could do with emphasising it more though I guess.

The problem is, if Bing gains more market share then they will end up wanting to monetise their traffic to the maximum too just like Google does.

And then the cycle continues...

8. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

I suppose I'd hope that the cycle wouldn't go back around as bing would learn from the past mistakes of google.

9. thecat Netherlands

thecat Active Member

The funniest thing is watching the legal people try and crack down on google.

The realisation that Google manually alters its serps has really kicked up a stink too.

The problem is Google is not a "everyone must have access to a search engine" service. It's just a business. The way governments and the EU talk you'd think they'd want a civil service run search engine just so it's "fair". Which is will never be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.