Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Have you responded to Nominet consultation?

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by martin-s, Oct 23, 2012.

?

Have you responded to the Nominet .uk consultation?

1. Yes, already responded

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Not responded yet, but intend to

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  3. No, I just like whinging about it!

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Interesting point. I'd be interested to know what % of income is transfers versus registrations.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

I cant see how it will not nom have hit about saturation point on domain regs they put in place 10 year regs, sold of all there family silver? I don’t think they could increase the cost of co/uk regs to match the proposed .uk (well to start with ?)

Joe public would prefer to type less, also means less resources are taken up with .uk same as defunct www. For each domainers complaining there would be plenty of business happy to have a chance of there generic product service etc (yes chances are slim but most will be oblivious to that)

Grandfather right is a pipe dream… A lot of this you could easily argue is caused by the non development of so many generics etc (which will probably happen all over again) my surprise is that considering a lot of the rest of the world no us as GB *well car stickers at least that wasn’t chosen? Maybe next time lol, The lots of rods in the sea approach may not survive this change but don’t see nom losing any sleep over them….. One thing is the higher cost may mean a less crap regged… we will all be regging .uk and hoping to get jems we don’t already own..

4. martin-s United Kingdom

The 2007 accounts state approx 6m domains and a total income of circa £15m.

That would imply that domain transfers are worth precisely bugger all.

5. viceroy United Kingdom

viceroy Active Member

I know a few businesses that use parked names for email addresses...

6. splashweb

splashweb Active Member

Perhaps we shouldn't be thinking of ourselves as "this" or "that" or the "other", but as stakeholders and, perhaps, members of Nominet, and in this sense if you have any concerns about the proposal then surely you have at least a moral duty to respond and take part.

I will be for sure, serveral enquring emails already and a main submission when I've heard all of your opinions and few from elsewhere. I want to go on record as having responded; how might it look in a couple of years if Nominet's own members didn't offer up their concerns?

7. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

Most of us own at least 1 .uk domain and many of us have membership, so in my opinion, it is vital that we all exercise our duty to respond or sit quietly and stop grumbling!

8. markb United States

markb Active Member

Who's opinions are nominet actually asking? As far as i'm aware the vast majority of businesses who own .co.uk domains and have invested money in marketing, arent even aware of nominets proposals. Have they sent our emails to business owners asking for their opinions?

How and who are they asking?

9. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

Well put, totally agree with your observation.
    I think once they get registrars on board they don't give a **** about the consumer.

10. martin-s United Kingdom

The reason for posting this question was (clearly) to encourage everyone to stand up for themselves. You might not make a difference if you do respond, but you certainly won't if you don't.

Yes, already responded 5 26.32%
    Not responded yet, but intend to 11 57.89%
    No, I just like whinging about it! 3 15.79%

11. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

How can there be 859 replies and 27,201 views of the main .UK thread, yet only 5 out of 19 people have bothered to share their views with Nominet yet after the proposal has been out for nearly a month? Makes very little sense...

Either you care enough to try and influence the outcome, or your views are completely irrelevant. On an issue this important (probably the biggest change EVER to the UK internet industry) there's no room for a middle way.

12. foz

foz Well-Known Member

I wonder how many users are in that thread though?

13. markb United States

markb Active Member

It seems to me that they are only interested in getting opinions from people/companies that stand to make a BIG profit from the proposals, and don't care about the people/businesses that are actually going to be negatively affected.

It seems totally unfair, they shouldnt be able to go ahead without letting EVERY .co.uk domain owner know beforehand and give them the chance to respond.

I think a call for the government to step in, should be made before this goes any further.

14. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

Have you replied as such to Nominet or asked your MP to bring it to government?

15. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

I can see the comparison to the .com bubble crashes but this will be primarily only be UK affected and more than likely it looks predominantly domainers

Because of general apathy will it really effect many if there site is developed and listing high will it drop in the listing? “G” taking less attention to emd panda etc updates maybe not, and that could happen with any new regged name listing higher ?

I have not seen one concentrated plan of attack put forward (forgive me if anyone has? _), something along the lines of an email campaign viral adds to every business etc (that wont benefit from the trade mark or being able to pre reg etc) Telling them all there hard work etc will be at risk with the introduction of a new cctld telling joe public there favorite site will be replaced... Not everyone likes change the harder hitting the more of a reaction they’ll be (yes scaremongering doom and gloom to an extent)

Yes the time effort needed are considerable there lies the crux how will it really effect those that have a.co.uk instead or as well as a.uk, what value drop will the new uk mean halve, quarter, none will having both double your price canceling out any losses? For those that had developed what will it mean or affect them at all? Does a new cctld have any more effect than a plural or singular to an extent or any at all if not developed like many. first to market advantage is still there ?

I deal mainly with German and Americans and from sounding them out those that even care (and aren’t saying “that’s why I always go com…”) There reaction you can see many are thinking oh nice one I’ll grab some great generics ££££ ( the non uk bit really not being that much of a stumbling block )

The big companies with a more than likely exclusive branding they don’t give a toss (as the recent nn ll co.uk prices seemed to indicate “aa g etc” Then through in the greed factor for sure lots a thinking whoopee chance at a great generic etc not oh I feel sorry for the portfolio holders who invested all cash yes sure.. I’m seeing is grandfather rights not a lot else thats not a plan of attack or likerly to get much of a following ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.