Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by discod, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. discod

discod Member

yes, I know what you mean. Many of the domains are very generic, and may really only be of high value to those having a specific project in mind.

:)
    D

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. WealdDomains United Kingdom

WealdDomains Active Member

Welcome Ditlev, and congratulations on acquiring such a large and diverse portfolio of domain names.

It would be easy to spend days, or weeks, brainstorming potential opportunities to exploit even a fraction of your names. A lot will depend on how much time you have to devote to the names, or to pay someone to do so for you. A quick Google immediately shows that you have significant experience and involvement in technology businesses generally.

From a quick browse on Sedo, three slightly negative aspects stand out to me about your portfolio alongside the overall superb collection of premium, brandable terms, so I hope you will forgive me for flagging them up :
    - very few of the names are natural generic terms for products etc that people type in; instead, they are mainy catchy phrases that could be applied to loosely-related industries ... with some effort
    - there are lots of hyphenated domain names, which can rank well in search engines but fail the classic "radio" test for getting the average man-in-the-street to remember them and type them in later
    - there are a surprising number of names that seem to be sailing close to the wind with trademarks, copyright or intellectual property : the danger here is if you go for the easy approach of parking your whole portfolio, you may accidentally hit problems when context-sensitive advertising with things like Google Adsense kick in, so maybe do some pruning before you take that approach

So, you clearly have a wonderful portfolio ... but almost too large and brilliant a portfolio, and it may well be worth categorising and prioritising the names into a few clusters to make the portfolio more manageable.

I hope you enjoy your time here : Acorn spans a wide range of sizes and qualities of domain name portfolios, but a lot of the underlying advice and shared experiences are valuable and relevant for players all the way along the spectrum.

Best wishes,
    David Collison, Weald Domains

4. stevew

stevew Active Member

Good advice david

5. dashu1 United Kingdom

dashu1 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the best way forward is to divide whatever you paid for the portfolio by number of domains to get an average price per domain.

Then split it into 2 lists of the generics/singleword brandables/have value domains and the ones that aren't so great.

Then attempt to sell off the 2nd group as a portfolio or multiple portfolios at cost price + margin, leaving you with a smaller, more valuable, more manageable portfolio.

Or simply stick a buy it now price individually on the lower quality domains on Sedo that reflects cost price multiplied by x.

Otherwise your renewal fees will surely start to eat up your margins?

Good luck with it anyway.

6. discod

discod Member

hmm - that approach makes sense. SEDO did a listing for the previous owners where they picked ~1400 domains that they (in their wisdom) deemed as valuable. I guess I could use that as a guideline.

Thanks for your input!

:)
    D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.