Domain Manage

Help me appraise development options please

Discussion in 'Affiliate Marketing' started by RSK3000, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSK3000 United Kingdom

RSK3000 Active Member

I'm moving from pure domaining to domain development. There are 2 options I'm interested in. I was wondering which might be more profitable overall. Your thoughts would be appreciated.......

Option one -

I've got around 200 mixed UK geos and geo generics - nothing fantastic, though e.g. 'place name' .org, 'place name' + Guide .co.uk. I could build each domain into a 2 or 3 page minisites with hotels, carhire, affiliate ads, whatever..........

Small easy sites - could probably churn out the 200 in about 4- 8 weeks (I have a day job as well).

Option two -

I have a small number of geo - generics relating to one large city in the UK - the names are like 'cityname' +Pubs, 'cityname' +car rental, 'cityname' + Entertainment and so on. So I could concentrate on 6 or 8 of these. Some would be directory sites, others article sites. Take longer to develop, but more revenue options later on.

So its really a question of large volume versus small niches - what would you advise to maximise returns?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Is the city already very well covered by other sites? Is it a "rich" city or a "poor" city (sorry if that sounds blunt, but...) i.e. will there be plenty of businesses with decent advertising budgets?

If the answers are "no" and "yes" respectively, then this is probably the better option. Could be easier to be king of a small territory than to gain a small foothold across a very large area.

4. RSK3000 United Kingdom

RSK3000 Active Member

Thanks Edwin, The options are to either go for a slice of a geographical area or go for a slice in the hotel/ carhire business in a range of areas.

I was thinking along the lines of -

1.) 200 sites like this

or

2.) half a dozen like this

5. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

We are only talking about approx 8 weeks for option 1. Once they are built they will not need to be touched, leaving you to concentrate on option 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.