Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Help needed with not sure what :-/

Discussion in 'Scripts and Coding' started by Systreg, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

Hi, could someone advise me what I'm supposed to do, please?

I downloaded this free classified ads software in zip file:

Rapid Classified: download free ASP classified

I set up a MySQL database to use for it, but now I'm stuck, where do I upload all of the files from the zip file to? There are hundreds of them, probably about 1000 files all together, I thought there would be something in the webhosts file manager with the same name as the SQL database name I set up, for me to upload the files to, or does it need to be uploaded somewhere else :confused:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

You need to use an FTP programme, like FileZilla, to upload the files to your webspace and then run its install script (if it has one) or at least configure the settings file to tell the script your DB connection info.

Admin

4. Systreg

Hi Admin,

I see, but where do you upload the files to?

After setting up the SQl database, I thought there should be a folder by that name somewhere to upload the files to, no?

And yes, apparaently it does have an automatic installer with it somewhere amongst the files.

5. Admin

Upload the files to the root of the webspace you are hosting the script on, which must be an IIS server as its an ASP script.

6. Systreg

By the root of the webspace, do you mean where the defaul index.html page folder is listed?

Just downloaded the FileZilla thing but not sure how to get it going, it saved to my documents a a .tar file, opening that just gives me loads of other files, which when clicked give other files :confused:, I'm on a Linux computer and download the Linux version of FileZilla, although anything I ever want to download on Linux never works.

Not sure about the IIS stuff you mentioned, never heard of that before, I'm using the free hosting account on a reseller I set up a while ago here:

Low Cost Webhosting Deals - web hosting, free hosting, professional hosting, support, FrontPage, PHP, Perl, CGI, domain name registration, free domain name

It says it has got:

Is that the same as the IIS thing?

7. Admin

Nope, you have an Apache server, the script needs a Windows Server, unless they have a PHP version?

If not it wont work.

8. Systreg

Ok, I'll have to scratch that idea then :(, unless I can get someone on 110mb to set it up for me on an account with them, going to check that out now, cheers for your help.

9. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

have you already bought it?

if you send the zip file over ill set it up on a windows server on your domain and host it for you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Systreg

Hi Julian,

No mate, the script is the free download on the link in my first post, there is a paid version but that's only to enable stuff like being able to charge people to post ads.

Thanks for the very kind offer, but I really couldn't expect someone to host a site for me. If I can ever afford my own hosting, I might ask you for some help to install something like that, though, cheers for the offer!

11. aquanuke

aquanuke Well-Known Member

12. Admin

The generosity of AD members never ceases to amaze me, for such a cloak and dagger business at times, there are some great people on here!

13. Systreg

I've been scouring Google for free Windows ASP hosting, not having much luck, then I came across a result that lead to an offer for UK students, offering them free ASP hosting for a year.

Ed Dunhill's Blog : Free ASP.NET Hosting for UK Students

@ Admin, I think from what you said earlier in the topic, this might do the job for me if I can get it?:

14. Systreg

Hurrah, I finally got a reply regarding the 1 year free Windows server ASP.NET hosting, he sent me the codeword to sign up, result :cool:, now what to do with it, since I sold the domain I was going to use for it, hmmm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.