Domain Manage

high traffic EMD

Discussion in 'Domain Name Offers Invited' started by domsaleuk, Feb 3, 2016.

1. domsaleuk

domsaleuk (1) Active Member Exclusive Member New Trader

Hi

I have the domain londonweatherforecast.co.uk . I believe this generates 40,500 monthly searches and I also have London-weather.co.uk which unless I am mistaken generates circa 1 million monthly searches.

I think ownership of these two names could make a great traffic driving development project for someone especially as I think it should be fairly straightforward to find a feed to deliver the weather info and once the traffic is flowing there should be various ways to monetise it.

Will consider reasonable offers but need to be relatively good because of the potential

Please PM if interested

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish (19) Active Member Trusted Trader

I think weather.com has a feed that delivers forecasts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  4. bonusmedia United Kingdom

bonusmedia (5) Well-Known Member Exclusive Member Known Trader

Worth considering what happens when you search 'london weather forecast'

5. diablo

diablo (93) Well-Known Member Trusted Trader

Think you are confusing searches with traffic. What are the actual traffic stats?

6. domsaleuk

Yes, it may well do so but if it doesn't then from previous experience I think that there are probably a number of different options to get a feed for this, which is why I think it could make a really good development opportunity for the right person.

7. domsaleuk

Hi - I am not sure what you mean here? maybe I am missing something? please correct me if I am

I am quoting searches as in the number of searches that I think these keyword terms get from looking at keyword info. There is no traffic at the moment as these are domain(s) without any website or even a page. I have quoted searches because I believe the volume for the 2 names outlined is exceptionally high making it a very good opportunity for someone to develop the name(s) into site(s) and benefit from the searches by capturing a good percentage of the monthly searches as traffic once listed well.

I also believe the potential to list well for EMD terms is still there as long as the rest of the development is done effectively and other SEO considerations are taken into account. My personal view is that EMD still gives a good boost but only if everything else is done well.

Anyway with this volume of traffic and the subject matter I think these names should be a great buy for the right person.

8. Edwin

Edwin (73) Well-Known Member Exclusive Member Trusted Trader

domsaleuk, are you opening this sales thread to general comments, or not?

(I'll refrain from posting anything further until you confirm if comments are ok.)

9. domsaleuk

I am happy for general comments as this one seems to be edging into a more general discussion

10. Edwin

Thanks for the green light re discussion. I appreciate it because it opens the floor to examining a whole "class" of domains.

I think one of the key points which applies to this domain (but also to a lot of other "informational" domains) is that Google kind of takes away the whole point of building a site by displaying the information searched for right there at the very top of the page.

Perhaps somebody who's tried to compete for a search term that Google "fully answers" in that way can chip in with more specifics (especially if they also have historic traffic data from before Google started implementing such results) but I would be amazed if more than a tiny, tiny fraction of all searchers go on to click on ANY results.

After all, their graphical summary of the weather effectively occupies the whole screen on low-resolution devices, and even at Full HD resolution using an uncluttered browser you can only see one actual result at the very bottom of the screen.

So (taking now the specific case of London weather) if people can see the weather forecast right there on the results page, and the top link is to the BBC (which always seems to rank top for every UK weather search I've tried) why would searchers seek out a third option?

Basically, what Google have done for informational searches that can be "completely answered" by Google-curated content is change the playing field completely. All the old notions (of the top result getting 30-35% of clicks, and the first page 75%-90%) go out of the window, because Google's already siphoned off most of the traffic before ANY organic search results come into the picture.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  11. domsaleuk

I think you have an interesting point here Edwin - I haven't got time to give my opinion on this now but hopefully others might as it is an interesting discussion. I will come back with some thoughts later.

12. gimpydog United Kingdom

gimpydog (1) Active Member New Trader

Domains with real traffic are worth real money.

Domains with search volume are worth considering.

Quite how you can be a member of a domain forum for ten years & not be aware of the difference beggars belief.

That would appear to be untrue, too.

13. boxfish United Kingdom

He didn't mention the domains having traffic in the OP, just search volume and the sites on there are just what 123-reg put up.

Talk about being overly critical.

14. spiderspider

spiderspider Active Member

Go to the OP and just above where he said Hi he titled it:

high traffic EMD

So he did mention traffic.

Added - He also called this thread "high traffic emd"

15. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s (19) Well-Known Member Trusted Trader

To be fair, it is a high traffic emd. The related search phrase is high traffic.

It's just not a high traffic website :)

16. Edwin

This slide show from December 2014 uses eye tracking studies and other methodology to analyse Google user behaviour across a range of page types. Their slides on pp25-28 are directly relevant to this discussion since they're talking about the "weather" Knowledge Graph unit i.e. the same unit that was screenshotted earlier in this thread. They clearly show the effect of attention being "captured" by the Knowledge Graph unit away from the organic SERPS results.
    http://www.slideshare.net/kocyigiteren/evolution-of-google-search-results-pages-serp

From the text:
    As the sample search on the slide on p73 indicates, a relevant Knowledge Graph unit can decrease the CTR on the top organic result from 82% to just 36.5%.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  17. mat United Kingdom

mat (54) Well-Known Member Trusted Trader

Whenever I am visiting somewhere or going on holiday, I pretty much keep searching 10 pages back till I find a site showing it will be AMAZING weather. Any other weather forecast gets ignored! :p

18. boxfish United Kingdom

I like to do that when I post a thread in Domain Appraisals

19. gregfindley

gregfindley (39) Active Member Trusted Trader

I would also imagine that the overall search volumes have dropped, and will continue to drop, for terms around weather, given that so many smartphones have built in weather widgets & apps these days.

20. Murray United Kingdom

Murray (19) Well-Known Member Trusted Trader

common sense > tool

21. Edwin

Google Trends would seem to confirm that, close to a 10-year low (and of course a decade ago only a fraction of today's userbase were online...
    https://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=london weather forecast