How do I put a value on my domain name - future.co.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by deutsch, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deutsch

deutsch New Member

Hi All – my first post :)

I am the long term owner of future.co.uk and receive many offers for the domain every week.

Whilst I’m not here looking to sell or sell in general, I’d value your expert knowledge as to how I would put a value on this domain. The highest offers I’ve received have been in the mid xx,xxx region and makes me wonder how a value can be realised.

If I was to consider selling in the future, where would be the best place to start as I have zero knowledge in this field.

I guess that future.co.uk is a good generic name which can be adapted for every type of business so does this attract a premium.

Many thanks and best regards,
    Mark

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. doodlebug

doodlebug Well-Known Member

First of all well I'd like to say lucky you ;)

Sedo is the main and long established domain trading platfrom, they take 10% though, you could enter it into one of their premium auctions however I would personally sell it myself, just contact the people who contacted you and get them to outbid each other.

If I owned future.co.uk and was offered mid £xx,xxx I would probably have sold it by now :cool:

Check out Sedo

4. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

A certain publishing company springs to mind.

5. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

When you say realised not sure what you mean do you mean sale started finished and monies paid as that’s my interpretation of the word…? If you’re looking for an appraisal there is a section on here for those....

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  6. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

If the domain name generates next to no income and there is no obvious, and easily implementable way for it to begin doing so, then it's worth what someone else is willing to pay for it provided you wish to sell for that amount. This might appear obvious but it often needs to be stated. :)

If someone once offered you £50,000 for example, then if that buyer is still wishing to give you that amount, today, for it then it's worth that, assuming (a) nobody else is offering you a greater amount, and, (b) you wish to sell it for £50,000 (you might feel that you simply don't need £50,000 and would rather keep the domain name.

Sedo.co.uk is an easy way to sell domain names but not necessarily the best. You might wish to approach prospective buyers directly but you'd need to determine who they might be and make an appropriate approach, after obtaining relevant legal advice. The latter would ensure you wouldn't potentially compromise your situation in relation to a third party who might have rights over terms related to the domain name.

Otherwise, sit, wait and when you get offers think about them. You are clearly under no obligation to sell this domain name. However you need to decide how much its worth to you and how long you are prepared to hold out for that amount in the face of on the table offers. Your situation may also change.

7. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

8. warning_uk United Kingdom

warning_uk Active Member

Just my view, but I'd say that mid xx,xxx is a very good offer for this domain..

If you could use the money, I would capitalise now.

If the laws on domain names change (as they can sometimes) you may find yourself subject to a claim from a copyright owner. You're safe at the moment with such a generic, but who can say how the laws will change?

There's also a chance that the whole domain name system may become obsoleted (somehow) or totally fragmented (eg the creation of many many more top-level-domains) before you get a better offer.

I had a generic short-one-worder and was happy with £10,000 a few years years ago. Sure, I could have held on for a better offer, but I got a nice kitchen out of it, and bought THESAMENAME-uk.co.uk for 6 quid ... nearly as good :)

A lot of domainers seem to be holding onto their domains for some magic time in the future when they will be worth ten times more than they are now. There are doubts in my mind that we'll ever get there :) And, humans being largely human, will always have wanted a little bit more than they got, however much that was...

D

9. suzi United Kingdom

suzi Active Member

Is the clue in your user name?!

10. warning_uk United Kingdom

warning_uk Active Member

Not on this occasion, no :)

11. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

I guess it's worth what someone else willing to pay, but may be worth more to you than anyone else, in which case you end up holding onto it.

If you're not a trader, then I'd probably start looking for end users. If it was me, I'd sell at 5 figs, assuming I made a decent profit. IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.