Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How have you/would you name your company?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by mally, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

Hello all.

I'm due to start a ltd company soon and I'm considering what to call it.

As many people on here I'm an affiliate/domainer, and have domains/websites covering loads of different niches.

I don't really want to use my name.

How did you choose your name?

I would ideally want to have a name and the appropriate domain name, I'm currently considering, 1) with I live Derwentside ltd or maybe a generic income term like residual income ltd

Any feedback is greatly received, my accoutnant suggested maybe go for some thing like

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

I looked through all the domains I owned, then found one which sounded like a good business name releavant to my services.

That way you at least know you own the domain and email already.:D

4. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

I found this if anyones interested in setting up a company for under £100 + VAT FREE Limited Company Formation – Business Start Up Help and Advice. Just set one up today over the phone.

I was told the other day a 1 x 4 name works well for advertising and space covered. 1 letter high and 4 long. Like "FRED"

But in a few minutes I came up with "Marketing Square" nice name for design and .co.uk not taken ;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  5. rob

rob Founding Member

Try not to over think it, if you have a nice name already perhaps use that?

If not I am sure if you set a budget / offer swaps you might get a member on here to discount a nice name for you.

There are a couple of users on here who I have helped in that manner, and all seem quite happy with company names :)

6. mat

mat Well-Known Member

Rob, im thinking of calling my company Music, if you can sort me the domain name for low £xxx :)

7. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

Thanks all, theres a domain name which I have which when I've checked company's house, the name ltd says "Dissolved"

Does that mean I could register now using that?

8. orchardapple United Kingdom

orchardapple Active Member

One thing to remember if looking to use previously registered company names is to look at potential impact on why they are dissolved etc, you might not want to be associated with the previous companies reputation if you are looking to trade in the same sectors etc.

9. FagEnd

FagEnd Banned

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  10. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

The way I see things, you need a business identity these days - a "brandable name" that will pop up if searched for - and a site or sites with generic terms that reflect your activities.
    So, in my scheme, you want a corporate name that conveys the right impression. Easy to think of one, just get a two name combo that has very few searches on Google egs. -
    Hathaway and Doesitt, Grabbit and Runne, Llandestyn and Grey - yes they are all sillies, but do it soberly and you can often get the corporate ID easily - might be your name and the wife's maiden name, if you're lucky. You want that name to be an easy type-in for "recommended customers", so it pops up in Google.

The site that is based on the name is used as a "hub site" for the generically named sites - so you link out from it to pensions4u, extradosh, brassmaker or whatever, and all those generic sites have the corporate name in the keywords.

That's the way a lot of people are running the battle plan these days ...

11. lethal0r

lethal0r Active Member

i just named it after one of my favourite albums

12. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Depends what sort of business you are starting but a Off the Shelf Company can have a lot of benefits over a newly formed company... especially when dealing with corporations, wholesalers, suppliers, banks etc

13. FagEnd

FagEnd Banned

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  14. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Well a company is just a company but to other companies etc its not quite so clear cut...? and pricing aside would you rather deal with someone who has just started in the domain business or someone established....?

Consideration should be made for :
    Obtaining Bank loans, credit facilities many lenders require a minimum of 2 and usually 3 years history in order to establish credit history. (age matters alot)
    Obtaining corporate credit cards and leases - most credit card companies require that the business has been in existence for at least 24 months.

Most large companies many distributors and manufacturers, will not give trading credit to newly formed companies and will only do business with an older company rather than with a brand new company.

Bidding on contracts (esp Government) etc it can be important in awarding projects or tenders if example the price and all other parts are equal preference is the one thats been in existence a few years( on paper...?) Than one that’s only a month old?

Some companies the first thing they wish to know is are you a company? They will check out how long you have been in business etc the older a company is the more confident they may feel in dealing with you.
    Not saying its set in stone but it is the way many companies and corporations go?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.