Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How to register a restricted geo

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by andydw, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andydw

andydw Active Member

I want to register a couple of restricted geo domains.
    One of them says I have to be resident in the country or have a company in the country or a trademark.
    So, I dont qualify. I have a friend who has a company in the country and I think they are still resident there.
    I could have them register the domains but how would I go about protecting my interests if it is reg´d in their name? If one of these turned into a very successful site they could simply have it for themselves and I would be rather peeved....

Are there any proxy companies who would register domains on my behalf?
    Anyone else overcome this? PM if you dont want to post.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. andydw

andydw Active Member

No ideas on doing this then?
    None of you own any restricted geo domains?

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Open a PO box address in the country via a Mailboxes Etc. type services (not necessarily MBE, but a company that provides mail addresses in the country). If you also need a phone/fax number, look into something like eFax or similar for an electronic one. Depends how keenly you really want to register names there, but the above DOES work!

5. squarerobot

squarerobot Active Member

Hi,

It's quite simple - some registrars offer the ability to provide a local presence on your behalf (for instance, Namesco). It costs a bit extra but it allows you to get round the restrictions in a lot of countries.

6. andydw

andydw Active Member

Have a friend with an address there and company but then I wouldn't really own the domains. I was wondering if an accountant or solicitor would reg them and give me some sort of legal ownership.

I´ll look into those two options - any more companies like namesco provide this? I did a bit of googling but didnt find this sort of service advertised much.

Dont mind paying extra as they are domains in one of my primary markets along the lines of serving up pertinent geo results, getting a hold of these local domains could become more and more important.

7. andydw

andydw Active Member

Have emailed Namesco with my request.
    Are there any other providers of such services whom I could contact?

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.