Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How would you treat agencies

How to reply to a marketing agency

• Ask them what their client’s budget is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ask them to make an offer.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Just give them a price straight off.

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone for the last one.

If you ask them there budget they either won't tell you or make up a number, b they will always come in lower (if they are a decent agency, that is there job after all) so with the last one you at least get to start near where you want and you can always negociate from there

I've never felt that a price should be adjusted depending on who is buying it.
It doesn't make any sense to me.

You should have the following in mind even before entering negotiations:

1. A price you feel the domain is worth (to you)
  2. What you would be happy to sell the domain name for

Nothing else matters.
Anything else is just greed (in my opinion)

It is nice when a contact identifies its interest. If its from an agency, they know the clients budget.

nows the time to go to work, on your self interest - spend some time drilling the term/or word down. I've yet to find more than about one third of expressed interest where I don't identify the buyer. (on a word pairing)

Now for the downside - It's actually become quite a common approach (last year or two) for Chancers to use the "Client-interest" angle as an opener (and nothing more - than for obtaining a domain for self) - so now drill down the source email address - don't be afraid to ask or question the source. (of the email) The chancers will soon be gone.

So from my point of view - there isn't three set answers, hope that helps

Last edited:
Now for the downside - It's actually become quite a common approach (last year or two) for Chancers to use the "Client-interest" angle as an opener (and nothing more - than for obtaining a domain for self) - so now drill down the source email address - don't be afraid to ask or question the source. (of the email) The chancers will soon be gone

That is so true, last year i had a few enquiries like that just to find out they don't have a client :)

Its getting more common as ' I am a student '

I've never felt that a price should be adjusted depending on who is buying it.
It doesn't make any sense to me.

You should have the following in mind even before entering negotiations:

1. A price you feel the domain is worth (to you)
  2. What you would be happy to sell the domain name for

Nothing else matters.
Anything else is just greed (in my opinion)

When I say it depends on the domain name. What I mean is if you have
bestpricedhousesinthenortheast.co.uk and someone enquired, your response would not be the same as an enquiry for say property.co.uk

So one response does not cover all domains.

That is so true, last year i had a few enquiries like that just to find out they don't have a client :)

Its getting more common as ' I am a student '

Yep so so true, but we put ourselves in the frame, so the least we can do is play the game

When I say it depends on the domain name. What I mean is if you have
bestpricedhousesinthenortheast.co.uk and someone enquired, your response would not be the same as an enquiry for say property.co.uk

So one response does not cover all domains.

That's fine, but when I say a domain name has it's price, that's exactly what I mean.

Whether you are buying land, a house, a car, clothes, food, etc, it doesn't cost more (or less) depending on where you buy it from or who you are. At least it doesn't where I come from.

Every product has a price the seller is happy to part with - and in this case the product is a domain name. Regardless of the buyer, this price should be the same.

I guess that's why I'm such a pauper and probably always will be. :)

Whether you are buying land, a house, a car, clothes, food, etc, it doesn't cost more (or less) depending on where you buy it from or who you are. At least it doesn't where I come from.

House prices are more expensive in london than they are in scotland, Also the same BMW model will be a different price depending on its gizmos etc so i dont think you can class domains in the same way (JMHO).

I think if the person who wants to buy your/a domain and wants to hide behind an agency they are also hiding something.

a price is a price is a price... no student sob stories or marketing agencies excepted. Been burnt by both in the past!

House prices are more expensive in london than they are in scotland, Also the same BMW model will be a different price depending on its gizmos etc so i dont think you can class domains in the same way (JMHO).

I think if the person who wants to buy your/a domain and wants to hide behind an agency they are also hiding something.

What you're saying is comparative to buying completely different domain names and/or extensions..? :confused:

If I want a car and I meet the price suggested in the car window, I get it for that price. That is a set price the seller expects to receive.

You are the seller. you have an idea of the price you want for the domain. who meets that price requirement makes no difference, surely?

What you're saying is comparative to buying completely different domain names and/or extensions..? :confused:

If I want a car and I meet the price suggested in the car window, I get it for that price. That is a set price the seller expects to receive.

You are the seller. you have an idea of the price you want for the domain. who meets that price requirement makes no difference, surely?

You said

'Whether you are buying land, a house, a car, clothes, food, etc, it doesn't cost more (or less) depending on where you buy it from or who you are. At least it doesn't where I come from.'

I was saying house prices are different depending on where you live.

I’d ask them what there offer was if its enough sell…?

So many variables... If you don’t know or are not confident on your own judgment I’d say research research research the old saying learning is earning…?(But without the get rich quick style bs)

If they're serious and want the domain, they should be prepared to make an opening offer. That's the tack I would (and always do) take.

Gauge level of interest by requesting an offer. I wouldn't look at anything that's less than x,xxx. From experience Agencies are the worst to deal with. Arrogant know it alls that believe they are the only ones adding value to the clients endeavours and not the gravitas of the domain itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts