Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

I bought a 'portmanteau' domain - is it treated the same as a generic?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for a little bit of insight here please.

I recently purchased a domain name which is a 'portmanteau'.

For those that don't know (like I didn't) a portmanteau is a combination of two words, e.g shopaholic = shopping + alcoholic

For ease let's say it is shopaholic.com as it's very similar.

I bought the .com, twitter and instagram handles last month, and they were all registered since 2016.

They have never been used but have just been sat registered.

In 2018 a podcast appeared using the same name and they have posted episodes ever since.

I wanted to get a picture of where I stand with regards to copyright, if the term would be treated the same as a generic and if I am OK to develop it in the future knowing someone is already using the name and I purchased it after they started the podcast, yet the domain was registered before?

Appreciate any input, thanks

This isn't professional advice by any means, but it does seem like it could be deemed a generic - unless the podcast has become some kind of household name, and has any trademarks?

Either way, thanks for introducing me to w term I hadn't heard before!
Every day's a school day!

This isn't professional advice by any means, but it does seem like it could be deemed a generic - unless the podcast has become some kind of household name, and has any trademarks?

Martin's take was the opposite. Because it wasn't a household name, and most Google results led back to the podcast, it was more of a brandable - not cut and dried though.

I've done some digging today and found articles/domains/social media handles that include use of the phrase as far back as 2014, 5 years before the podcast started, which has put my mind at ease a bit.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom