Domain Manage

I just figured it out..

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by julian, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

I just occured to me this weekend how I totally screwed up my domain career has been and it might help others, it might not.

This is such a forking simples business lesson its unreal - but my brain just let me down..

I spend £500 or a 1k, on a good few half decent domains, develop and sell on for say 2-5k - that's not bad, but the point is: wtf didn't I just buy a 10k+ domain.

The main point being, if you want to make serious money, I believe you need to get out of your comfort zone, invest that bit more on a better domain.

This may be rubbish but I thought i'd share it with you - and I still buy reg'fee .org.uk's

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. philipp United Kingdom

philipp Active Member

I think totally screwing up your domain career would equate to overspending on names and losing a tonne of cash. Sounds like you've done pretty well to me.

Buying at 1k and selling at 5k is impressive, nice job :)

P.

4. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Well-Known Member

I agree Julian but if I had 3k I would still rather reg 500 FTR off my big waiting list knowing that I only need to sell 1 or 2 to cover my cost and still have 498 potential other sales at 100% profit and then buy a domain for xx,xxx and sell for more.

The other day > roulette on .co.uk sold for high xx,xxx and I am sure you could get low xxx,xxx and make a nice big profit :cool:

Now stop talking and start walking ;)

5. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

It's what Barry's done - and seems to have worked for him, but he does seem to have the magic touch!

6. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

I agree with your sentiments entirely julian, if developments your forte and you have all the required skill-set. Wouldn't advise it for a single moment if your just into the domaining. Then i would see that as nothing more than a single 'all-out-bet' whereas you could've a least enjoyed a day at the races - spreadbettting

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  7. mart1n19 United Kingdom

mart1n19 Active Member

Hi Julian

From my own point of view, ive been buying/selling for the last 5 years... all domains costing less than £3-4k.

I took the Jump purchasing JJJ.com for £11k & selling for £27k a year later.

I then invested this & remaining savings recently on Roulette.co.uk for low to mid £xx,xxx.. Im now going to stick with this & develop

I dont think you have done bad, infact your sales figures are producing a good return..:D

Unless you have endless pockets everyone has to start small & work up the ladder.

You will have much more experience now than you did 5+ years ago. :)

8. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

Great domain, you need to get it forwarded to an affiliate link until you develop it!

9. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

i'm not sure this business model is as effective as your making out - how many of your ftr domains have you sold for 3k?

10. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Well-Known Member

None but then I havn't tried to sell them much, it works fine for Edwin :p

Best I've had without trying is £350 :p

11. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

That's an overly simplistic picture - we sell a wide variety of names, some of which may have been FTR, others were drop caught (over 500 in the last 12 months alone) and still others were purchased on the aftermarket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.