Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

I knew I was right not to bother...

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by murph, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

One of the most stupid and useless of EU directives slowly being brushed under the carpet.

I didn't bother with this, and was never going to. How a bunch if non-techy beurocrats thought they could mess with the way a chunk of the internet works and think we'd all say, 'fair enough, lets waste our time & screw with our business' I don't know!

4. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth, lol.

Glad I've seen this - I only implemented it on 1 site and was going to add more at some stage. :)

The services out there charging a fortune to add a cookie 'solution' to sites for the cookie consent will surely be most annoyed. :mrgreen:

5. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

Ha! So true. What a monumental waste of time... well if you bothered with it this is :)

6. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

I've never understood this cookie policy issue, on everyones browser ie, ff, chrome or opera etc, you have privacy settings which say ' accept cookies yes or no ? if the web user selects yes then obviously they accept the use of cookies whatever site they visit.

7. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Oh well time to remove it from my 400 sites now.....

8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I found it funny that most government sites just put "cookies" somewhere on the page http://www.number10.gov.uk/ and some didn't even do that.

Stupid law.

Why on earth the EU can make laws for Britain anyway.. dictatorship.

9. Aegean Greece

Aegean Active Member

What bothers me is after 10 years of public scaremongering by people like Which? Magazine, Watchdog (the programme) and The One Show (which appeals to knuckleheads), when the general public see anything popping up they don't recognise, they hit their back button.

95% of 'the public' haven't a clue what a cookie is. I've had several customers of mine saying they go back if they see a site with that on it, or they don't buy anything. Basically they don't understand what it means.

10. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

The law was stupid but did make some people aware of all the third-party tracking, Security vulnerabilities assosited cookies, nosey companies collecting browsing info etc so not all bad,,,

11. bulkcorn

bulkcorn Active Member

Shame that sites lose potential business because of these cookie notice pop-ups!

12. IrnMary United Kingdom

IrnMary Active Member

+1, I tried various methods of "cookie consent" and all I seen was bounce rates jump, I gave up after 2 weeks figuring they would kick it into the touch, thank god they have.

13. Aegean Greece

Aegean Active Member

Well just a month ago I was talking to one of my customers in Scotland. Around 6 years ago I built an eCommerce site for their John Deere dealership.

The owner of the company asked me about the cookie notice, I explained to her what it was. To my surprise she said when she sees it on other websites, she just hits her back button. That's when I started asking other customers and a lot of them said the same thing.

Sometimes when you are caught up developing websites its easy to overlook customer usability and actions, which often turn out to be quite different to what you may expect.

14. AndyMarsden United Kingdom

AndyMarsden Active Member

I develop and maintain 7 .gov.uks we spent ALOT of tax payers money implementing cookie consent on these pages and about 60 other QUANGO sites. Most of the development time was implementing cookieless visitor tracking and analytics for those who rejected the cookies (less than 0.2% of visitors)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.