Domain Manage

if i bought a .co.uk domain would i have the rights to the .UK ?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by justwondering, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justwondering United Kingdom

justwondering Active Member

Just wondering , if i bought a .co.uk domain would i have the rights to the .UK ? if the .UK had not yet been registered , or does the rights to the .UK stay with the person that sold the .co.uk for i believe the next 5 years or so ?!?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

The rights stay with the co.uk as long as the .uk hasn't already been registered

If someone transfers you the co.uk without registering the .uk then you will then have the option to register the .uk in the 5 year time frame

If you're buying a domain you should make sure the seller knows you expect to get the rights to the .uk too, otherwise they might register the .uk themselves before the co.uk is transferred to you.

4. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Check the registration date. If it is on/after June 10 2014 then there are NO rights to the .uk.

If it was registered before June 10 then check the whois for the .uk. If it has been registered then the rights have been exercised and you have no automatic right to the .uk. If it's not then the rights pass to you as the new registrant. Either way make sure the sales contract states it includes the .uk if registered or the rights if not...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.